Page 79 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129 ... LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Re: What music do you like... ?

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Interesting...

I can't help but notice that music sales seemed to peak right before the advent of digital media (I'm presuming they mean MP3 and related compression technologies).
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Estonian composer Arvo Part, and what I consider his Magnum Opus, Te Deum Laudamus. I love his calculated use of dissonance and the prepared piano.

For anyone desiring a translation, I can post my own rendering of the text.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

right now it's
    I can't stand the rain"
    and I think I still like the Ann Peebles rendition best
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Met and talked with the entire group a few years back. Very nice people.

Casting Crowns is awesome and so is Third Day and Jeremy Camp.
    Bluesirtalis

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Didymus20X6 View Post
    I can't help but notice that music sales seemed to peak right before the advent of digital media (I'm presuming they mean MP3 and related compression technologies).
    Actually, that section that is digital sales only represents sales made after the recording companies finally realized that they were losing money and instead of fighting digital distribution of music, they finally started offering legit ways for people to buy it in that form. Long before that people were "ripping" their audio CD's and sharing them for free (which of course is illegal and NOT represented in the graph). The peak time frame for that, you'll see sales take a dive. As more people began buying digital music legitimately, then you see sales rising again, at least until the economy really took a dive. Sales of any music at all, are still on that downward trend simply because fewer people can afford the luxury with this slow economy.

Also, digital doesn't necessarily mean MP3 or any compression technologies but it does include that. Most people these days including myself, prefer to purchase their digital music in a lossless format (uncompressed) such as .Flac or .WMV lossless. Hard drives and other storage devices have gotten so large (capacity wise) and cheap that large file sizes aren't really a concern anymore.

Yeah, but MP3 players haven't gotten much cheaper for the larger capacity ones, and they still don't have unlimited space on them.

Yeah, I did notice that the market took a huge dip back around the early 2000s, and figured it was because of music sharing sites like Napster and AudioGalaxy. And the dip does occur significantly before digital sales (that is, the music industry deciding, "If you can't beat them, use them to make money!").

I still use a lot of MP3's, mostly because I tend to get independent music from sites like AcidPlanet rather than spend money on commercial music.

"Preparing For First shed"

I love this guy. He is a guitarist for another band called Alexis is on Fire. They are a little more hardcore, This is his solo project. His name is Dallas Green. YouTube - ‪CIty & Colour - Casey's Song‬‏
    YouTube - ‪City and Colour - As Much As I Ever Could (Transmissions)‬‏
    YouTube - ‪City and Colour - Sleeping Sickness‬‏
    It'll feel better when it stops hurting.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Didymus20X6 View Post
    Yeah, but MP3 players haven't gotten much cheaper for the larger capacity ones, and they still don't have unlimited space on them.
    Well, all I know is that I bought a zune in 2007 and I still have it and love it. I like it much better than ipod, and it has a 120GB hard drive in it. Even at lossless format, I can fit way more than enough music on it to satisfy myself, along with videos and movies (ripped from my DVD's) as well. It's not like I need to have my entire media library on it all at once. 100 GB or so is plenty. Many hours of listening/watching in 100 GB of files.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    Casting Crowns is awesome and so is Third Day and Jeremy Camp.

Yep, dey is! I have a Casting Crowns, bunch a Third Day.

Along with

Pillar
    Thousand Foot Krutch
    Skillet

An' all o' dem other similars.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Well, all I know is that I bought a zune in 2007 and I still have it and love it. I like it much better than ipod, and it has a 120GB hard drive in it. Even at lossless format, I can fit way more than enough music on it to satisfy myself, along with videos and movies (ripped from my DVD's) as well. It's not like I need to have my entire media library on it all at once. 100 GB or so is plenty. Many hours of listening/watching in 100 GB of files.
    Yeah, but with my budget, I ended up settling for a 16GB Sony. That's still several hours of music in MP3 format, but not my entire music collection. I mostly just keep the Electro-Breaks stuff on there, but none of my Sacred-Classical, Rock, or Comedy.