Page 785 of 1410 FirstFirst ... 2856857357757837847857867877958358851285 ... LastLast
Results 7,841 to 7,850 of 14098

Re: Its oh so quiet Shh Shh

However you chose to educate yourself, it's all good.

Just don't believe everything that turns up on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    However you chose to educate yourself, it's all good.

Just don't believe everything that turns up on the internet.
    at the zoo trip when my group was in the reptile room i was in a rush looking around looking to get pics of snakes for the project. well i saw a pretty one got side tracked and walked away....i forgot to write down its name so i went back to the cage, looked at it (and not the name label) and just said "oh hognose viper"...i turned to look at the name tag and i was right. I couldnt help myself....i went to pretty much every cage as if playing a mental game of "the price is right" giving suggested current prices for various animals... as to how i did on the price guessing....well lets just say if bob barker was there i believe i would've won a new car!
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

BEST EASTER EVVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! found a blind snake, worm snake AND a big ground skink at my uncles!!!!!!

growing up is optional "

Quote Originally Posted by mustang View Post
    BEST EASTER EVVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! found a blind snake, worm snake AND a big ground skink at my uncles!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    sorry im a little...no REEAALLLYYYY excited!!!!! i had better luck herping today in my aunt and uncles front yard than i have in the past 2 or 3 years! two different species on the same day!!!!!!

growing up is optional "

Wait it wasnt a worm snake!!!it was a tantilla!!!!!!!!!!! A smiths black head!!!!!!!!!

growing up is optional "

Banned

Stefan has a pic of an even bigger one...

I took this out back. BTW I have big hands. size XL gloves fit nice and snug.

If that is a bullfrog tadpole,(it does look like one) then that's not even a big one. Come back and show us a pic of one with it's head filling the palm of your hand and the tail tip nearly at the end if your fingers. 7 or 8 inches snout to tail tip is about how big they get here in deep cool, well-oxygenated, muddy bottom creeks.

Seriously. Put one of those in a 5 or 10 gallon tank, keep the water cool and well oxygenated. It will get huge, and two or three years old before it even spouts legs.

I would have to assume that the only tadpoles I find here in November would be bullfrog tads, every other "lesser" species has legs and left the pools by then.

these things go down in the mud and come back in the spring to devour all the smaller tadpoles.

also if you look it up, they vary in size depending on the conditions of the pools and food supply.

Want to see a garter snake go crazy over food?, put one of these in front of it.

Banned

I would have to assume that the only tadpoles I find here in November would be bullfrog tads, every other "lesser" species has legs and left the pools by then.

these things go down in the mud and come back in the spring to devour all the smaller tadpoles.

also if you look it up, they vary in size depending on the conditions of the pools and food supply.

Want to see a garter snake go crazy over food?, put one of these in front of it.
    I've never known the tadpoles to be carnivorous even if you overcrowd and starve them. In fact, their mouth parts indicate that they are not. They forage on algae and detritus and so they do well on goldfish flake food, taking it off the bottom. Yes, they do vary in size. In warm oxygen poor water with limited food, they will transform while still rather small, just months after hatching. Where there is sufficient water depth and muddy bottom to survive the winter, and where there is plenty of food and oxygen, they get much bigger and delay transformation until they are 2-3 years old.

They are definitely a favorite food for garters but so are the young frogs.

Banned

What's the difference between an ex-convict and congressman?

ANSWER: Every now and then, ex-con's pass a few good bills.