Page 749 of 1410 FirstFirst ... 2496496997397477487497507517597998491249 ... LastLast
Results 7,481 to 7,490 of 14098
    Banned

Re: Its oh so quiet Shh Shh

Something along those lines does happen in my area though. T. ordinoides can be found in meadows and forest clearings many miles from any body of water. concinnus on the other hand, can only be found in habitats near permanent bodies of water such as slow moving creeks, rivers, lakes, and ponds.

While T. ordinoides are also found in the wet habitats shared with concinnus', they do not depend on those habitats. T. ordinoides is a small species that eats mostly worms and slugs. T.s. concinnus' are much larger and depend on reliable food sources like frogs, fish, newts, and rodents.

I think that the reason why concinnus' are only found in the wet habitats is because that's where their food is. They wouldn't be able to get enough food all summer long if they were far from water, whereas the much smaller T. ordinoides can survive on nothing but slugs and worms. It's obvious that concinnus' do not need more moisture or more water than any other garter but instead they depend on those wet habitats for the abundance of amphibians, (and their larvae) and small fish found there. The largest ones are always found near bodies of water which also have areas around it that flood, trapping small fish and amphibian larvae in shallow temporary pools - easy pickings!

All summer long, these pools are teeming with frogs, newts, tadpoles and small fish. Not surprising that the highest concentrations of T.s. concinnus in the summer are found right here. There are ordinoides around too but they don't hang out at the waters edge or in the water like concinnus' do.

It's really about the food, not the water. I walked out there after taking this pic. I spotted literally dozens of concinnus' in the water and near the waters edge and of course, hundreds of frogs leaping into the water.

So Robert, did you get credit for your answer?
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

I think I've mentioned it before, but I'm starting to make soaps and lotions that are all natural and I'd like to start selling them, but I need something to call them. Can you guys help me think of some names that might work for that? I'm no good at coming up with names.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

"Nature's Goodness" "Green Clean" "Nature's Soft Lotions" Chantel's Natural Clean"
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Nature's Goodness sounds almost like the place I buy my material from, Nature's Garden.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots

Quote Originally Posted by Mommy2many View Post
    So Robert, did you get credit for your answer?
    i dont know she just grades em via scantron she dosnt reallty LOOK at the test i think...
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

Banned

Woke up to heavy snow in Portland Metro area. Hey Chantel, you get snow too? I would think so.

Nope, it's actually cold and slightly sunny right now!
    It's funny, I live really close to mountains and almost always get no snow.
    Chantel

Banned

This is at about 75 feet elevation

At this point, better you than me.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."