Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: A note concerning pre-packaged frozen fish

I bought fresh farm-raised tilapia for my snakes the other day...since it has been recommended as having the least amount of mercury and sodium, etc. Unfortunately, my snakes do not seem to like it as much as they like their salmon. They just love salmon. I really want them to eat the tilapia because I feel better feeding that to them. Don't know what to do. I guess I will see if I can find some trout...I believe that was lower in mercury than salmon, right? I'm going to keep trying the tilapia though...
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Juvenile snake

Mine aren't crazy about tilapia either, but will eat it when scented with other fish (in my case, usually silversides).

Banned

If you can get farmed rainbow trout or steelhead, give that a try. Sometimes it just takes a while for them to come around and eat tilapia. Mine didn't seem to like it at first either and I had to mix it with silversides at first. It helps if you get the tilapia in vacuum sealed packaging, thaw it in the packaging and it's own juices, and don't rinse it before you offer it to them.

I buy it fresh at the seafood counter...it doesn't come in any packaging. But I will look for some rainbow trout...or steelhead...I did find some of that before, but I haven't been able to find any recently. I don't know much about silversides...where can I buy safe silversides? I have often thought of trying them. I do see smelt at the seafood counter and know that some people use that...smelt is safe right? Any guidelines for buying that?
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

You can buy pre-packaged silversides at a lot of petstores or have them delivered. I've never done it, but I've seen them at our local PetSmart.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I can try Petsmart. I think I got some from a local pet store around here a couple of years ago...but I didn't trust them at all...didn't like the look of them once I got them home and thawed. I think I saw people mention safe brands on here before...are there safe brands that I should look for?
    Marnie

Banned

I get them at Petco, but they aren't cheap. These are the best ones I've seen. San Francisco Bay Brand® Sally's Frozen Silversides™ Tropical Fish Food - Marine Food - Featured Products - PetSmart

If they don't have those, they also usually carry these: Frozen Fish Food for Aquarium Fish: Ocean Nutrition Silverside Frozen Food

I try to avoid the latter because they're vacuum sealed dry and they are supplemented. They tend to dry out or freezer burn easily. They don't look or smell as fresh as the Sally's, which are packed in water. If you get the Ocean Nutrition ones, make sure the vacuum seal is still in tact before buying, and after you open them, freeze them in water. They'll keep better.

Thanks...something I might try with my snakes.
    Marnie

Banned

I've never met a garter that didn't devour them immediately with great enthusiasm.

Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm new to this, & feeding a wild-caught Western Ribbonsnake who is thriving. She has mostly eaten small crappie from the bait shop, to avoid thiaminase. She'll also occasionally take scented pinkies but rarely unscented ones. I'm aware of the risk of parasites from live fish...should I encourage pinkies more, or what?