Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    In Hog Heaven

Re: Aquarists, UNITE!!!

Gosh, I've not found that to be the case.

They're very aware fish and tend to 'bond' to the humans that own them. Like Oscars.

Had Jeffy needed dither fish he'd have twitted out from get go when you got him and been hiding since the first day. It's not dither fish he needs, something else is bothering him.
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

Quote Originally Posted by Garter_Gertie View Post
    Gosh, I've not found that to be the case.

They're very aware fish and tend to 'bond' to the humans that own them. Like Oscars.

Had Jeffy needed dither fish he'd have twitted out from get go when you got him and been hiding since the first day. It's not dither fish he needs, something else is bothering him.
    It could be the tank size too.
    Especially with only one cory.
    Cories = schooling catfish.
    Maybe get 5 more?
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

Quote Originally Posted by MK
    Yeah, my big ol pie plate seems to do just that.

The man that owned her passed away suddenly (Ran over by a log skidder) and the wife just ignored her, the tank was nasty! I don't blame the woman, it was her husbands Oscar, and she said every time she looked at the tank it killed her inside.

All I wanted was that tank for my corn snake, Somehow wound up with yet another lost soul to take care of.

I put a fairly large dace minnow in there, and it can outrun "Peach" so that minnow has been alive for over a week, constantly running from a hungry Oscar!

BTW - She is still getting fed, she likes the smaller dace minnows a lot, hell on goldfish too (Sorry about that, but Oscars do eat goldfish)

Our daughter just picked up a pair of fancy guppies, I get the babies

Anyone ever try the brightly colored guppies to get reluctant feeders to eat??

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
    Yeah, my big ol pie plate seems to do just that.

The man that owned her passed away suddenly (Ran over by a log skidder) and the wife just ignored her, the tank was nasty! I don't blame the woman, it was her husbands Oscar, and she said every time she looked at the tank it killed her inside.

All I wanted was that tank for my corn snake, yet somehow wound up with yet another lost soul to take care of.

I put a fairly large dace minnow in there, and it can outrun "Peach" so that minnow has been alive for over a week, constantly running from a hungry Oscar!

BTW - She is still getting fed, she likes the smaller dace minnows a lot, hell on goldfish too (Sorry about that, but Oscars do eat goldfish)

Our daughter just picked up a pair of fancy guppies, I get the babies

Anyone ever try the brightly colored guppies to get reluctant feeders to eat??
    Eh, I try to avoid live fish diets with carnivorous fish... Apparently there are some thiaminase issues in there too.

Try feeding him worms; he'll love those.
    Oh, oh! And bloodworms. AND Hikari cichlid pellets! They LOVE those! :P
    0.1 Storeria dekayi

In Hog Heaven

Zepher, goldfish are the dirtiest of dirty fish ever. Six cories with a goldfish would be pollution central and Lori would be cleaning the tank every day.

It's not the cory twitting out, but Jeffy. And that cory has lived with Jeffy since day one.

It's something else. I still lay the blame at the ****-a-roaches.... LOL!!!
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

Quote Originally Posted by Garter_Gertie View Post
    Zepher, goldfish are the dirtiest of dirty fish ever. Six cories with a goldfish would be pollution central and Lori would be cleaning the tank every day.

It's not the cory twitting out, but Jeffy. And that cory has lived with Jeffy since day one.

It's something else. I still lay the blame at the ****-a-roaches.... LOL!!!
    Depends on the filtration. And cories ARE true schooling fish; they need groups of 5 or more.
    As for the goldfish being dirty... For one it generally isn't good to keep a tropical fish with a coldwater fish; Jeffy might have caught a pathogen from the cory, no matter how long they've been together.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

sorry i didn't know where else to put this.......

just thought maybe someone here could help

ok so one of my big fish.... attacked my new fish.... it's one of those black moore goldfish and i like him alot.... but my big yellow goldfish chased him around and got most of his tail.... he had a double tail.... but now all that's left is strings...... and it injured his fromt right flipper so now he can hardly swim...... he gets sucked into the filter so i had to devise a special one andd he cannot swim to his food so i have to move it right next to his face with a stick..... i got him last night and it happened about 3 hrs after i put him in the tank....... so what do i do with him??? my brother looked it up on the internet and they can grow their tails back..... but is he in any pain?? what about his fromt fin will that ever heal???
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    Eh, I try to avoid live fish diets with carnivorous fish... Apparently there are some thiaminase issues in there too.

Try feeding him worms; he'll love those.
    Oh, oh! And bloodworms. AND Hikari cichlid pellets! They LOVE those! :P

Yes "Peach" likes the pellets, but she has left 2 crawlers in the tank I had to skim back out the next day.

What have I gotten myself into here?? If I start setting up aquariums all over the house that actually have water in them, please shoot me.

Quote Originally Posted by Snake lover 3-25 View Post
    ok so one of my big fish.... attacked my new fish.... it's one of those black moore goldfish and i like him alot.... but my big yellow goldfish chased him around and got most of his tail.... he had a double tail.... but now all that's left is strings...... and it injured his fromt right flipper so now he can hardly swim...... he gets sucked into the filter so i had to devise a special one andd he cannot swim to his food so i have to move it right next to his face with a stick..... i got him last night and it happened about 3 hrs after i put him in the tank....... so what do i do with him??? my brother looked it up on the internet and they can grow their tails back..... but is he in any pain?? what about his fromt fin will that ever heal???
    Those sound like very severe injuries.
    Add a little bit of aquarium salt to the water, and use a bubble filter for filtration. I suggest you isolate him too.
    Put him on some antibiotics; I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I believe Maricel/Maricin? Is available at most pet stores and that'll help.
    If in 3 days he isn't improving you'll have to euthanize him. ):
    0.1 Storeria dekayi

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

ok thank you i guess i'll have to go to the store i hope he pulls through..... he's a cutie.....

pics in a few......
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat