Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant?

Re: Pregnant?

So if they are having trouble breaking the membrane on their own should I help them or should I just let them be?
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

I would help them. Just make sure the membrane isn't drying out, that can kill them pretty easily.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Ok. Thanks!
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

small town of Durand,MI. which ever direction you are going out of or town you wil going uphilll

Pheobe like u know is pergnant also and shes an Eastern garter. How long for her babies does it take for them to start eating. Ive never raised babies and I dont wanna do something wrong.
    I wanted to Thank you Steve for your help with the heating pad.

I have 4 Easterns(mine: Furbie and Whiplash; moms: Diamond and Silky) all are 5 and half months old. So much fun gaters are.

It can take up to two weeks. Just keep offering food every couple days if you want.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs N1ntndo View Post
    Ive never raised babies and I dont wanna do something wrong.
    I hear ya. I will be on here as much as I can after they are here. I hope I don't annoy anyone with my questions.
    Kat

Asking a lot of questions is a good thing. I think many of the members on here would prefer you asking a lot of questions, so you can care for the snakes properly
    Chantel

small town of Durand,MI. which ever direction you are going out of or town you wil going uphilll

Thats why I love this forum. The people are soooo helpful and nice. I love that. I have another question. Lol ... Right now Pheobe is in a 20 gallon take and I have a 10 gallon I plan to keep the babies in. Is that ok for the babie and how long can I do it if its ok? Also what would be a cheap way to make a lid for the 10 tank. Cause I have cats and I dont want the babies hurt or getting away. I cant afford much right this sec so Im trying to figure that out.
    I wanted to Thank you Steve for your help with the heating pad.

I have 4 Easterns(mine: Furbie and Whiplash; moms: Diamond and Silky) all are 5 and half months old. So much fun gaters are.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by katach View Post
    So if they are having trouble breaking the membrane on their own should I help them or should I just let them be?
    Don't mess with them. Just keep an eye on them. Give them a couple of minutes to break out on their own. Once in a while one will have trouble and can't get his head out to take a breath. If they seem to struggle too long and start to panic, you can take something like the pointed tip of sharp scissors or a small pocket knife and cut it open. You'll have to get ahold of the membrane and shove something sharp through it. Take care not to hit the baby or umbillical cord. Some have a bit of yolk left and are still attached to it. You don't want to cut that. Membranes are rather tough and stretchy. If you can manage to cut it you can just pull it off of them.

Most of the time they don't have any trouble. It's OK to give them a chance to get out on their own. They have several minutes at least, before they get low on oxygen and need to breathe. Watch some more video to familiarize yourself with the process so you know what's normal, and what warrants intervention. I'm sure Steve can dig up some good video too. Here you can see one struggling, breaking through. Then they take a breath and rest. Pretty normal. However, if the struggling goes on too long, you might have to cut the membrane so they can get the head out and breathe.

Thanks Richard. You are so helpful, I appreciate it!
    Kat