Page 606 of 1410 FirstFirst ... 1065065565966046056066076086166567061106 ... LastLast
Results 6,051 to 6,060 of 14098

Re: new tarantula digs

I believe those were argiopes, large spiders! some insects do hibernate...not sure on flies in the windowsill, generally appear dead to me. I am sure lots of species do hibernate, ants in particular, bees, termites.......

Re: Its oh so quiet Shh Shh

oh gosh I'm really not functioning well today - probabbly due to having to hiss and growl at a raccoon in the middle of the night, and being painfully tired as result
    it's feeding day and I've finally decided that I better stop because I'm not sufficiently clear-headed
    this is after I just came back into the room to find that not only had I not secured the screen tops on two tanks
    I had also left open the sliding door on my big females' tank a good 8"
    thankfully Whizzy wasn't in there; I'd taken her out to feed her separately after she'd gone for Thing's rat fuzzy and given her a bloody nose - also something I ordinarily do not let happen
    so it was just Sammy and Thing sitting in the tank with the sliding door open
    oh right - earlier I'd done the same thing with Drache; fed him and walked away leaving the sliding door open
    it's a good thing I fed the complacent ones first, or I'd be really upset now
    as it is, I feel bad about Thing's bloody nose and the fact that she didn't want to eat after that
    they're snakes - they can go another day; it's clearly safer for them that I turn my attentions to other matters
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

i'd say you made a good choice.... hope you get a good long nights sleep

it's quiet......................
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

so the NY Post wants to do an article on people with weird pets as a follow-up to the chimp attack in New Jersey
    now I personally find that there is a vast difference between chimps and snakes, and I do believe that snakes are a bit more common as pets, but I digress
    they were looking for someone to interview and Sean referred them to me
    so there may be a photo of Mikhaila, Drache, Sammy, Thing, Whizzy, and me in front of some of our enclosures in the Post's sunday edition
    I forget how clueless people are
    what the guy wanted was all of our snakes all over us at the same time - yeah right
    I felt nervous just having Drache this close to my favourite big girls, but since he'd downed two rat pups just the day before, they were more interested in him than he in them, which I thought was weird; nevertheless of course we made sure his head was kept well away from them at all times
    so this being the NY Post, I'm expecting an inane comment (I probably made some), pulled out of context, to make the story more interesting, and I hope they won't go overboard
    I was totally drooling over the photo equipment and very gratified with the photographer's frustration with getting a snake's face in focus, when it's coming toward the camera
    he said he'd email me some of the photos and doesn't mind me posting them here; he took around a hundred and of course they'll only use one, but I think he also took a few for fun - just of the snakes
    Last edited by Stefan-A; 02-21-2009 at 07:35 AM. Reason: edited on request
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

guys
    I'm a bit upset with myself because I feel I was unkind about the NY Post's often somewhat amped presentation, when everyone I personally dealt with was so very nice and I genuinely liked them
    so I just wanted to clarify that
    rhea

Personally, I would decline, especially in the wake of something like that chimp attack. It's can so easily be turned into a fear mongering story.

I guess it never occurs to me that any of my snakes could be scary
    and then I thought that Mikhaila and myself could put a friendly face on the story
    let's face it - they could have found someone with a much weirder presentation (or am I just in denial?)
    I mean, we're like a nice Brooklyn almost-yuppie family
    rhea

The way they can twist it, it wouldn't surprise me if they turned it into a "These types could be livning next door to you!" type of story. Especially if there's a child involved. Most people hate snakes and couldn't care less if there are harmless species, they just don't want to be exposed to them under any circumstances.

Then again, I have a strong dislike for the media in general. A bunch of people making a living off stories about subjects they know absolutely nothing about but still have opinions on.

I have to agree with Stefan, Newspapers have a way of twisting it around.

Media loves to sensationalize stories, it sells.........

hm, yeah, except . . .
    here in the big apple there is a critical mass of people who take pride in living next to "unusual" people
    also, in general the Post tends to be hard on big wigs, crooks, and politicians; and for the most part really rather kind toward us "regular" folk
    rhea