Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Re: Bad Match Breeding

hmmm...

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

That's really neat! We have a similar thing here in coastal areas. Kingsnakes around the coast that have coloration similar to that of coral snakes are a lot bolder in coral territory than they are inland where coral snakes can't be found. An experiment was done a while back, using scented, plastic king-snakes in and out of coral snake range, and they found that while the control brownish colored kingsnakes consistently had bite marks from bears, raccoons, and raptors, not a single coral-snake mimic had been bitten. Both were attacked at equal rates outside of coral snake range. If you're lucky enough to run up on a kingsnake in the right area, they'll just sit there and stare you down, since no natural predator is willing to go near them afraid that they're coral snakes.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

hmmm...

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Want to hear something even more interesting? Yellow bellied racers do that from Southern Oregon into CA but only where rattlesnakes also occur. They will often not flee but instead will sit in dry brush and rattle their tails. They do not rattle their tails here in the northwest where rattlesnakes do not also occur, instead preferring to flee rather than stand their ground. Same snake, but different behavior depending on where they are. Now that on the surface seems to support a mimicry theory.

It's either that or the snakes simply evolved the behavior and of course, it was only an advantage where rattlesnakes also occur. Tail rattling was not an advantage where rattlesnakes do not occur, and so they simply dropped the behavior or never developed it in the first place.

In those areas where racers, fence lizards, and rattlesnakes occur, I've seen yellow bellied racers twitch their tails while sitting still, to attract lizards to come closer. In those areas the racers feed almost exclusively on lizards. Here in western WA/OR, they feed mainly on small rodents such as shrews and voles and the very young snakes even eat locusts/grasshoppers.
    It's actually an advantage anywhere... snakes from all over the world do the tail rattling specifically when agitated or threatened. Especially my chinese king rats, and those guys are from china where there are no rattlesnakes to be found. Defensive rattling is something that intimidates a predator even in snakes without a rattle because the snakes purposely slap it against something to make sounds. When my king rats do it, I often get a look of surprise from people who are new to the snakeroom and are nervous about the sound it makes. Snakes using their tails as lures is not uncommon, baby copperheads are born with yellow tails just for this purpose, and the mangshan viper keeps a glow-in-the-dark colored tail it's whole life! (it doesnt actually glow but it looks like it would) Also, females will slap their tails around, especially garters I noticed, when being courted by a male. I have also seen garters do this when introduced to an unfamiliar food item, or to a new snakes they have not met before and are unsure about.

if you want to see a REALLY cool tail luring species, check out Pseudocerastes urarachnoides. Search it on youtube and watch the first video. They literally have a centipede for a tail!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Whoa... Weird

I've noticed a few snakes sweep their tail back and forth, along the ground, mostly in a "defense"....

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

think about it like this... if you are a snake... you have no arms or legs to wave and you cant make any noises really... so they use the only thing they have... their tail!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Yup. There's not much else...

Banned

Now we're way off topic. Have been for a while. Where is Drache to point it out as glaring flaw, and Mommy2many to back her up with her dedicated "well said" and "I agree"

Get back on the right thread.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Now we're way off topic. Have been for a while. Where is Drache to point it out as glaring flaw, and Mommy2many to back her up with her dedicated "well said" and "I agree"
    you really need us for that?
    just that first sentence would have done it without the invocation of mom figures
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain