Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Re: san francisco garters

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    Amen to that brother, although I prefer gardening, hunting, fishing, and I certainly appreciate hiking too......but in the rain? Seems the older I get the more of a fair weather outdoorsman I've become, lol.
    However, I used to slowly drive the country roads when it would rain in the spring especially if it would rain near dusk, all the frogs, toads, and reptiles would be out crossing the roads and easy to see and get out and have a look at them...maybe you were eluding to similar experiences when hiking in the rain? If so, that sounds like a great idea, might have to try it?
    Yeah. It all started with driving sloooow on the back roads right after or during a summer shower checking out all the cold blooded animals. Then I was like wait... lets walk this road. haha. My friends think I'm nuts, but my wife loves me so I'm fine with all that!
    brandon
    ------------------------------------------------
    myspace.com/bsol78

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bsol View Post
    Yeah. It all started with driving sloooow on the back roads right after or during a summer shower checking out all the cold blooded animals. Then I was like wait... lets walk this road. haha. My friends think I'm nuts, but my wife loves me so I'm fine with all that!
    Yeah man we're livin' right, our friends all think were crazy but our wives think we're "special" and love us to death, and we love them back for it, doesn't get any better than that in my book, lol

Banned

The desert east of San Diego or CA's central valley is a great place to walk the roads at night, especially after it rains. It's a fun activity. You get to see all kinds of herps that you normally would never get a chance to see. I even once found a checkered garter that way, near the Arizona border. Before that, I didn't even imagine a garter snake could be found in that habitat.

"Second shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    According to the person I spoke to. The Gov. is concidering allowing any found injured S.F garter to be placed at one of the zoos.
    My surprise is the fact the US has no breeding program in place other than the orginal gene pool from Europe.
    The problem with captive breeding in zoos is where do you go with the offspring. Since there is no re-introduction plan no zoos will make the attempt to breed them because they will be stuck with all the babies. They can't even sell them to other zoos right now.

I know this thread is a couple years old now. but here's my input anyway.<br><br>Section 4.0, Recommendations for future actions - page 30-32<br>(<a href="http://www.fws.gov/cno/es/San Francisco Garter Snake 5 Year Review.FINAL.pdf">http://www.fws.gov/cno/es/San Francisco Garter Snake 5 Year Review.FINAL.pdf</a>)<br><br>In my understanding of the&nbsp;necessary&nbsp;proposed actions, the SF and SD Zoos will breed the 10 SFGSs imported from the Netherlands, and place the offspring on loan to other facilities through-out North America. &nbsp;Also, new holding facilities are to be put in place to protect wild SFGS &nbsp;(and most likely a few more of the local species), and to breed a head start program, while parts of the habitat go through a "burning regime" to kick start regrowth of grasslands and "early seral stage habitats". &nbsp;In other areas, fresh new ponds are to be built, and the levees and culverts from Pescadero Marsh are to be removed to reduce salinity. &nbsp;In my opinion, if we can get the funds to get these plans into action, this habitat will have a better chance of sustaining the San Francisco Garter Snake, as well it's primary food sources, the Pacific Tree Frog, the California Red-Legged Frog (also endangered, but with a habitat spanning most of California's coastline), and a possible Bullfrog introduction. &nbsp;Now, to just get rid of that Chytrid Fungus, which could have a negative impact on the Amphibian prey.<br>
    I can hear them screaming thru the forest at night!
    They pray with snakes. . . and they poison my mind!