Page 554 of 608 FirstFirst ... 54454504544552553554555556564604 ... LastLast
Results 5,531 to 5,540 of 6080

Re: Other pets (pics and discussions)

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    After watching the family open gifts Tank relaxed in his water.
    Shortly after this photo Tank gave me a late Christmas present............... no, not that.

While I was talking with him I was enjoying an orange. Tank showed an interest in it so I offered him some. After a few moments of sniffing he ate two slices. Finally, he showing some interest in something other then his regular food.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Interesting Tank Story:

A few days ago I attempted to put Tank to bed at what I thought was his bedtime. Guess I should have checked with Tank as he didn’t agree and refused to stay in his blankets. He was bent on returning to his water and kept going out to the dark kitchen only to find the bathroom door closed. He would then come back into the living room and go into his bed but for only a few moments. Then it was back out to the kitchen. I would wait around his bed to cover him up but after the 4th attempt to get him to sleep I gave up. I told him he was on his own and would have to put himself to bed. I move toward the TV and knelt on the floor. A couple minutes later I felt Tank at my leg. He came along side me and started climbing up on my leg. The moment we made eye contact he stretched up toward me. I picked him up and told him he won. I returned to the bathroom and ran him some water.
    We have a bond and I couldn’t be happier. To have this large snapping turtle so in tune to me is great. He goes out of his way to find me and spend time with me. I’ve never seen another turtle like Tank. I had no idea a snapping turtle could be capable of such a level of intelligence and behavior. He is a remarkable turtle and one I hope to live out my life learning from him.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!

So when are you going to produce your documentary “A Snappy Life”? Your posts remind me of the “My Life As A Turkey” on PBS....which I loved.
    Interesting Tank Story:

A few days ago I attempted to put Tank to bed at what I thought was his bedtime. Guess I should have checked with Tank as he didn’t agree and refused to stay in his blankets. He was bent on returning to his water and kept going out to the dark kitchen only to find the bathroom door closed. He would then come back into the living room and go into his bed but for only a few moments. Then it was back out to the kitchen. I would wait around his bed to cover him up but after the 4th attempt to get him to sleep I gave up. I told him he was on his own and would have to put himself to bed. I move toward the TV and knelt on the floor. A couple minutes later I felt Tank at my leg. He came along side me and started climbing up on my leg. The moment we made eye contact he stretched up toward me. I picked him up and told him he won. I returned to the bathroom and ran him some water.
    We have a bond and I couldn’t be happier. To have this large snapping turtle so in tune to me is great. He goes out of his way to find me and spend time with me. I’ve never seen another turtle like Tank. I had no idea a snapping turtle could be capable of such a level of intelligence and behavior. He is a remarkable turtle and one I hope to live out my life learning from him.

Mona (T.S. sirtalis) Melanistic
    Fiona (T.S similis) Normal

Just watched My Life As A Turkey. It was awesome. Thanks Gail.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Just watched My Life As A Turkey. It was awesome. Thanks Gail.
    Video: My Life as a Turkey | Watch Nature Online | PBS Video
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Tank is sleeping on the couch. He's snuggled up against my oldest (Emmy). When Tank was little Emmy spent a lot of time with him. I can see it in Tank's eyes that he remembers her. He's sound asleep with Emmy's hand on his shell.
    There is no other turtle like Tank.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

How good is a snapping turtles hearing?

I’ll try to shed some light on that from my observations. Snapping turtles have an internal ear and not a true ear. This ear is used to detect sounds/vibrations under the water, alerting the turtle to possible danger or a next meal.
    Working with Tank I’ve discovered the ears also pickup airborne sounds. Many times I will stop in the kitchen and look into the bathroom. All I can see is a small amount of Tank’s shell but calling his name will cause him to turn and look over the edge of the tub. Many other times I will lay on the floor near his bed and whisper talk to him. This usually causes Tank to wake up and come out from under his blanket. All of this is done with low volume, never yelling but yet Tank responds to it.
    Nothing scientific here but I found it interesting to say the least.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Took a bite from Tank this afternoon

After Tank got up from a 36 hour sleep he went to his water. When I checked on him he was ready to eat(it's a food day) He reaches up to me and checks out my hands.
    After steaming some shrimp for him and letting them cool I returned to him and saw he had pooped in his water. I set the bowl down and started draining the water. The bathroom had the strong smell of shrimp in the air. As the water drained I directed the poo into the drain. Tank turned around and came down to see what was going on. This isn't unusal for him. I pushed him away a number of times and then turned my attention to poo work. As I swished the poo toward the drain tank watched. I then made the mistake of moving to fast and being to near his head. As my hand passed near him I felt him suck my pinky finger and part of my palm into his mouth. It's amazing how strong the suction is when he expands his throat and opens his mouth. No wonder they are such good predators.
    Tank had my entire pinky down his throat and was clamped on my palm. I relaxed and he let me go without a single injury. I take full blame for this incident. I finished cleaning and refilled his water. When I offered his shrimp he took them carefully from my fingers. I'm glad he let me go as I could have gotten a severe injury.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

"Fourth shed In Progress" slipknot711's Avatar

wow i woulda **** my pants! hes still a good boy
    Ashley: instagram-> @ashes1187

An observant creature of habit

Tank has always been very observant about changes in his world. This really hit home the other day.
    I was preparing to leave the house when I stopped in to tell Tank goodbye. Tank was very quick to give me a hard stare as it was the first time he’s seen me wearing my winter coat. As he stretched up to investigate I lowered the coat sleeve so he could touch and smell it. After that he was fine with the coat. The next day I went to say goodbye again with the coat on but this time I was also wearing my hat. He showed great interest in my hat but ignored my coat. After touching and sniffing the hat he relaxed. As I was walking out of the house I heard a thump in the bathroom. I went in to find Tank sitting on the floor because he pooped in his water(he doesn't like soiled water) I sat down on the floor and reached out to touch his head. For the first time in his life he pulled away from me. I was wearing my gloves and Tank did not trust what he saw. I removed a glove and set it down in front of him. This was still making him nervous so I took the glove away and showed him my hand. He seemed relieved and stretched his head out toward my hand. I’m glad Tank requires safety in his life and can communicate his feelings to me.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!