Page 500 of 608 FirstFirst ... 400450490498499500501502510550600 ... LastLast
Results 4,991 to 5,000 of 6080
    Never shed

Does anyone know of a rubber boa breeder???

Hi guys - I'm wondering if anyone knows of someone that has rubber boas for sale? I'm having troubles finding breeders of these little guys. I don't think they're very popular for whatever reason, but I would like one to add to my small collection of two snakes! (One ghost corn & a lemon pastel ball python.) Thanks in advance!

Banned

Re: Other pets (pics and discussions)

I don't know of any commercial breeders of this species but they aren't hard to find in western WA if you look in the right place at the right time. I find them now and then. Usually under boards/tin logs etc. in grassy areas bordering forests. Spring and fall are best times to find them. It is illegal to keep them though in WA. They tend to overlook the law against keeping native wildlife when it comes to garter snakes (probably because they're so abundant and common) but they confiscated my rubber boa years ago and gave me a very stern warning. They let me keep the garters even though it's technically illegal to keep natives. However, they (WA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife enforcement officers) didn't like it at all, that i had a rubber boa and they took it. Broke my heart too. I loved that sweet boa.

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I don't know of any commercial breeders of this species but they aren't hard to find in western WA if you look in the right place at the right time. I find them now and then. Usually under boards/tin logs etc. in grassy areas bordering forests. Spring and fall are best times to find them. It is illegal to keep them though in WA. They tend to overlook the law against keeping native wildlife when it comes to garter snakes (probably because they're so abundant and common) but they confiscated my rubber boa years ago and gave me a very stern warning. They let me keep the garters even though it's technically illegal to keep natives. However, they (WA Dept. of Fish and Wildlife enforcement officers) didn't like it at all, that i had a rubber boa and they took it. Broke my heart too. I loved that sweet boa.
    How did they even find out about your rubber boa in the first place?

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Re: Does anyone know of a rubber boa breeder???

Quote Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
    Hi guys - I'm wondering if anyone knows of someone that has rubber boas for sale?
    Available

They are very hard to find both in the wild and in captivity. Try e-mailing the above link and see if they will have any for sale this year, also research them (the breeders/company) to make sure they have good reviews.

Adult snake

Approaching the 3' Mark:
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by charliegirl View Post
    How did they even find out about your rubber boa in the first place?
    Someone called them. I used to put the garters out in the backyard in screen cages to get some sun on nice days. Neighbor was "one of those" type of neighbors if you know what I mean so I think they called. They were constantly calling cops, the city, anyone and everyone, for every little thing.

Anyway, they really didn't have a warrant or any right to come in but since I cooperated, they were nice about it and let me keep the garters once they saw they were well cared for and I didn't have very many.

Unless you're hoarding them, overcrowding, dirty cages, etc., I didn't see any reason not to cooperate. These guys are very reasonable and mainly concerned about game violations, poachers etc. I figured the worst that could happen with a few snakes is that they would take them and just warn me. Then I'd just go get some more, lol. But it was better than that. They just flat out let me keep the garters. But they did tell me don't get any more, or any other wild animals and they would leave me alone. Never heard from them again.

I think the only reason they took the boas is that at the time they were considered endangered in WA (they were on the state threatened list) but not anymore. But still, like I said, it is illegal to have them anyway and even if you found a breeder, he could get into trouble if he ships them into WA. WA is like CA. Illegal to import animals native to the state, even (and especially) if they're captive bred somewhere else.

Never shed

One of those neighbors... ahhh yes.

I understand WA's laws in wanting to protect the native animals, especially if they're an endangered species. But it's a little weird with some animals such as garters. I guess that's probably why the guy didn't confiscate your garters. It's probably also why at reptile shows (here in WA) it's not that uncommon to see garters.

There's a reptile zoo in Monroe WA and they have a rubber boa. That's how I even found out about those guys in the first place!

Adult snake

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Approaching the 3' Mark:

I just realized that I copied this picture directly from my Twitter account, so some might not be able to see it. I'll fix it when I get home tonight.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I just realized that I copied this picture directly from my Twitter account, so some might not be able to see it. I'll fix it when I get home tonight.
    I can see it, and I have never once set foot on twitter
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Re: Does anyone know of a rubber boa breeder???

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Snake View Post
    Available

They are very hard to find both in the wild and in captivity.
    Not if you know where and when to look (speaking of the wild part of the above statement). They are actually surprisingly common throughout their range, you just have to know when to look. Timing is key with charina. They probably aren't as popular in captivity because they are not active, you rarely seem them above cover, they can be very particular eaters, and they only eat for a handful of months out of the year. I have one that I keep and they are quiet fascinating and tend to keep you on your toes as far as care goes.

-Thomas