Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Re: My garter and set up

Is anyone here a member of the Minnesota Herpetlogical Society? It seems they've made a bit of headway with Petco Minnesota Herp Society and Petco: Conference Call If someone is a member perhaps we could see if future calls are planned and ask for our agenda be added to those calls or perhaps even have a representative from Thamnophis.com included on the conference call?

btw, looking for follow up info that may have resulted from that conference call, but haven't found anything yet.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Austin,

Nice try. Try talking to a manager. Take it to the next level in a professional way. Go in with proof but don't use it until last. If you use it to early they'll think you're being a smart guy. This is just the kind of thing young people need to do to help some less smart adults. Get your parents approval first. Don't want to see you get in trouble. Above all be professional and go in knowing you might not get anywhere.
    Remember *If you don't make any calls, you won't make any sales*
    I wouldn't get in trouble. Well, not with my parents. And I don't see how the store can do anything.
    -Austin

And_Lyn

Whew didn't know I'd cause such a fuss

Ok...so it WAS Petco my bf got the snake at. I thought that he said the reptile shop. Turns out he had went to the reptile shop but they didnt have any so he ran to Petco and picked her up. Whew I'm too blonde

Anyway, my bf and I are pretty PO'ed. He emailed calzoo which is the supplier for Petco and they pretty much gave him the middle finger through email. Let him know that he could return it if he wanted to

We decided that we're going to return it tonight when he gets home from work. I'd rather buy an ACTUAL healthy garter from a breeder. We found a breeder online and will be contacting him tonight. I feel bad for the snake...but I dont want to take chances. That may sound horrible, but I've gone this route before with animals from pet shops and its never fun

Anyway, just a quick question. We're going to keep the same tank for the new snake. Can I keep all the same hides, water dish, and trees for the new snake if I SUPER sanitize it? Or should I not take any chances and return them all and get new ones?

Thanks for the advice and sorry for any stupid questions and for the major blonde moment about where the snake came from to begin with. Can anyone blow in my ear? I need a refill

The petco nearby has keelbacks mixed in with other real thamnophis. I think the striped keelbacks colors really standout to the random kid who wants a snake, and, keelbacks are generally bigger than the gartersnakes at petco.

At least thats what happend to me. When I went into get a garter snake, I picked the keelback because it was the biggest and the best colored. If only had I known
    -Austin

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

stupid petco
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

I just sent this to Petco.....

Dear Sirs, I am the administrator/moderator for the Worlds largest Garter Snake Forum, Thamnophis.com. More and more often the name 'Petco' is coming up in conversations regarding the Keelback Snake (Xenochrophis vittatus), which many of your stores are selling as Indonesian Garter Snakes. Please be aware that these snakes are not Garter Snakes, they are mildly venomous and rear fanged. They are always heavily parasitised and invariably die soon after purchase, even in the most experienced of hands.Thamnophis.com has over 7,000 members worldwide, and countless anonymous readers, I'm sure you will agree that this number of people reading the constant bad press regarding Petco and these snakes can only be harmful. I respectfully request that Petco stop buying in these animals, or at the very least label them correctly, so that the public may be aware of what they are purchasing from you. Please feel free to contact me for further information. Note, I will post a copy of this e-mail on the forum. I trust that this request will receive your best attention.
    James.

Don't worry about it.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

nice job james!!!!
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

And_Lyn

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post

Dear Sirs, I am the administrator/moderator for the Worlds largest Garter Snake Forum, Thamnophis.com. More and more often the name 'Petco' is coming up in conversations regarding the Keelback Snake (Xenochrophis vittatus), which many of your stores are selling as Indonesian Garter Snakes. Please be aware that these snakes are not Garter Snakes, they are mildly venomous and rear fanged. They are always heavily parasitised and invariably die soon after purchase, even in the most experienced of hands.Thamnophis.com has over 7,000 members worldwide, and countless anonymous readers, I'm sure you will agree that this number of people reading the constant bad press regarding Petco and these snakes can only be harmful. I respectfully request that Petco stop buying in these animals, or at the very least label them correctly, so that the public may be aware of what they are purchasing from you. Please feel free to contact me for further information. Note, I will post a copy of this e-mail on the forum. I trust that this request will receive your best attention.

Nice! I hope they respond although if they do its probably just going to be a brush off

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post

That's almost exactly what I wrote. Almost word for word.