Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Banned

Re: hello, new to owning snakes

I also keep a 2 liter full without a cap on it, to top off or change snake water. another thing sketh, clean water is perhaps the most important thing you can have for your snakes. every few days wash/disinfect the bowl as well, being sure to remove any bacterial slime that might form on the dish.

I know they'll drink out of a filthy stagnant pond in the wild but they don't live long in the wild either.

Never shed

i have seen some nasty water bowl at friends, though that was back when we were like 4 or 6 years old. never with my own tanked animals though, too paranoid lol. i'm also looking into spring water. my father recommended it since its can be bought clean without the nasty chems but with the good stuff you want in the water. until my water company opens today though i just have to wait and see what the source will be. but those 2 liters will be the storage for sure.

Banned

spring water would be great. good choice. Just make sure it's not stored for too long especially at warm temps because it is in plastic. After just a few months it will taste like plastic.

Never shed

yup, will keep it stored in the garage never gets to be anywhere near 70 in there even during summer. if the temp does get high though i'll just put it in the fridge. i'll bring it back to room temp before i use it though. cold water cant be good for snakes.

Banned

They don't like it chilled or warm.

Never shed

ok, just got an email from Jeff, they have one Axanthic Radix left! hoping to hear more from Jeff as to the next step. fingers crossed.

Banned

Is it a female? I ask because if you get a female first it can wait until next season to get a male. (male should always be younger and/or at least smaller) If you got snow male you could breed and produce anery/axanthics and normal lokking snakes that "het for snow' which is actually double het for anery/axanthic and albino. babies like that would be capable of producing albinos, anery/axanthic or offspring that are both (snow).

Snow, which is anery/axanthic and albino at the same time. How's this for a garter snake. It works like this. Take an an anery/axanthic, then make it an albino which takes away all the dark pigment. comes out like this:

Never shed

well i don't know if its a female, all i was informed was that its the last of the lot. breeding's not going to happen for a while if it happens at all. i don't have the space for it, time, or money. thought that snake you just posted is awesome. male or female is the first question I'm asking Jeff. also if it matters in terms of life span or behavior habits.

edit: also its from the lot of babies produced in January of this year so their only 9 months old.

Never shed

sorry i got some info wrong, all i know was that its from 2013 babies not the month.

Banned

His site has announcements for all the litters. I'm sure you can read that and figure out exactly when the snake was born. Most of his litters come early in the season so the snake should be months old and well started.