Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: Sonoma County infernalis

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHSNAKE View Post
    explain, how is that "odd"?
    Proximity to the species would normally infer access, and greater access would logically lead to a better ability to select the best samples.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    Proximity to the species would normally infer access, and greater access would logically lead to a better ability to select the best samples.
    Thank you for nicely articulating it for me lol

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    just seems like your saying S. Bol couldnt have the best stock cuz hes in Holland. All well.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Snake View Post
    That's odd that the person who has the "best stock" doesn't live in the garters native country o.O
    so the best garters come from U.S. collections?

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

That would be the presumption because Americans have an easier access to acquire wildcaught and certain morphs that are rare in Europe and other countries.

I've seen Steven Bol's website and he has some great looking garters and is very knowledgeable on Thamnophis.

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Snake View Post
    That would be the presumption because Americans have an easier access to acquire wildcaught and certain morphs that are rare in Europe and other countries.

I've seen Steven Bol's website and he has some great looking garters and is very knowledgeable on Thamnophis.
    Somethings have become very difficult to get because of laws, its becoming harder and harder to get native reptiles. The mexican species of Thamnophis i have to import from Steven Bol if want to have them. If i want unrelated U.S. species to U.S. bloodlines i either have to collect it myself, import it from Euro or wait untill i become lucky and come across someone who has unrelated bloodlines or wildcaughts.
    Ive been looking for some real nice Kansas parietalis for a couple of years now. Theyre nowhere to be found in U.S. collections. I guess my best option for that is to go get them myself.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

just seems like your saying S. Bol couldnt have the best stock cuz hes in Holland. All well.
    Did you deliberately miss the point that I said you'd "normally" expect someone living closer to
    have better access? I happen to think that Steve Bol is one of those exceptions, there aren't many European keepers who travel to local Thamnophis habitats like he does.

Nope. Nobody said that. What was said was that you'd expect that to be the case. That's what makes Steve's collection unusual.

Somethings have become very difficult to get because of laws, its becoming harder and harder to get native reptiles. The mexican species of Thamnophis i have to import from Steven Bol if want to have them. If i want unrelated U.S. species to U.S. bloodlines i either have to collect it myself, import it from Euro or wait untill i become lucky and come across someone who has unrelated bloodlines or wildcaughts.
    Ive been looking for some real nice Kansas parietalis for a couple of years now. Theyre nowhere to be found in U.S. collections. I guess my best option for that is to go get them myself.
    So it's easier for a foreigner to come into the US and collect native reptiles?
    Mexican species are a different matter, you're as much a foreigner there as Steve.
    Some European snakes may well be related to your bloodlines, unless a line is imported privately there's virtually no traceability as to where the importer acquired the snakes. Again, Steve may be an exception as he keeps better records than most and I get the impression that he doesn't just pick up random snakes that catch his eye at reptile fairs.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Banned

I guess you're going to have to define "best" in context. Best for what?

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I guess you're going to have to define "best" in context. Best for what?
    BEST TO WHOEVER...WHO CARES ANYWAYS...I DONT

Banned

Well you do seem to care or you wouldn't call them "best". All I'm asking is how you determine that they are "best". What's the criteria?