Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Hybrid Photo Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHSNAKE View Post
    But hey thats why wildcaughts are important to our hobby...or i should say important to me and everyone who captive breed snakes
    That and to keep the bloodline strong. Just look at what happened to the Lucy Texas Rats.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Adult snake

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    I feel like hybridization is only bad when the majority of the people disagree with it. Look at corn snakes, people hybridize them all the time with rat snakes and even king/milk snakes. Their market is doing GREAT! But that's because people allowed that to happen.

People who value money over ethics allowed it to happen. Some of the stuff they create sickens me.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHSNAKE View Post
    Oh god there are a ton of lines, most of the early classics, that are completely lost as far as purity goes. Brooks kings are a good example. They have a tiny natural range and im suppose believe that all those morphs came from the wild...hahaha yeah right!!! Its sad but i dont know how harmfull it really is. I like facts not speculation. Follow the Morelia hobby much?? Its crazy mixed, i would like to get some pure darwins before they become polluted lol

But hey thats why wildcaughts are important to our hobby...or i should say important to me and everyone who captive breed snakes
    Yep that's what I'm getting at, don't even get me started on Morelia haha. I was in a rush when I posted but they are definitely one of the worst, and all for "designer morphs". Same with all the "white sided" kings, originally it was crossed in from Black Ratsnakes. The scariest part of hybrids is the chance of re-introduction into wild populations either through escape or intentional release.
    Chris

Anymore photos? Keep em comin!
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

This thread has pictures of hybrids

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gene...t-baggage.html

Adult snake

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    People who value money over ethics allowed it to happen. Some of the stuff they create sickens me.
    Furthermore, it's almost impossible to get pure bloodlines anymore. I've been trying to find an unrelated pair of CB desert kings for a year now and nobody has any males. I'm seriously considering taking a weekend trip to NM/AZ this spring to catch a pair myself. Somebody has to do it.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I feel like hybridization is only bad when the majority of the people disagree with it. Look at corn snakes, people hybridize them all the time with rat snakes and even king/milk snakes. Their market is doing GREAT! But that's because people allowed that to happen.
    Actually, their market is beyond over saturated, and crashed. That market is not doing great at all. They are just so common and cheap that everyone has them. The sheer amount of corn snake babies for sale alone attest to that... and that doesn't even count all of the corn mutts that have arisen all because people breed two snakes together just because they could.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

That and to keep the bloodline strong. Just look at what happened to the Lucy Texas Rats.
    what exactly happened to them? They certainly aren't weak.... the only thing to complain about is the nasty bug eyed thing. All it would take is culling the bug eyed babies at birth and continual outcrossing.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    I'm not really a fan of it either, but I can assure you that not EVERYONE who makes hybrids is doing it with dollar signs in their eyes. Some genuinely are just as in love with it as we are our thamnophis.

Can we all agree on this at least? If you have hybrid garters, keep them to yourself and don't let them breed. From reading everyone's perspectives, I think that that seems fair.
    I would definitely cull them before I kept them all if I had a litter somehow. You can only go so long before they start to tax on your resources and take up space that you just don't have. I will always feed off anything I cull. At least I would have plenty of snakes to feed them to... I also save stillborns and use them as feeders also. But if an animal dies on it's own in my care, I don't feed it to anything, aside maybe my centipede. Too many variables as to why it may have died, I'd rather not run the risk.