Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Re: Thanks for nothing (or: new snake had mites)

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    Just need to sort the polystyrene background to make sure the little buggers don't get behind it. It's the first place to look if you have an "escape" from an ExoTerra and are using the background.
    I took the background out of mine because the snake can't climb on it so it's was just a waist of space.

Be sure to post pics of the background when it's done!
    Will

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

You said the snake was very thin and obviously already a very sick snake when you received it so i don't see how anyone could try and point the blame to you! I am so sorry for your loss!
    Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    First and last I doubt it was something you did. The snake came to you sick and infested with mites. Demand a refund in no uncertain terms.
    It's ridiculous they are blaming you. Give me there # and I'll give them a piece of my mind. %$^&*( .
    After you get your refund of course. I was looking up some good British insults to call them but decided to not post them.

Sorry for your loss.
    Bluesirtalis

Im glad you addressed the situation so the other snakes could get treatment and im glad they gave you a replacement!
    Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    well i went to the store to speak to them face to face.i spoke to the manager who said whoever i spoke to on the phone would be dealt with. We checked the tank that my guy came from and sure enough they all have mites. He was in with some radix.

He took me into the back room of the shop to show me two baby red sided he had,got them out let me handle and check them over i was allowed to watch them for a good half hour,and they looked ok.the manager offered me one as a replacement and the second should i want it for £30 not the usual £39.99.

Sorry don't know what that is in dollars. Ive maybe done a bad thing but ive taken them bearing in mind they where in a completely different room at the back of the shop,i know mites are very infective but i honestly couldn't see any.i know thats not to say they wont show up in the next few days but i couldn't resist. They are treating the radix today and have asked them to call me when they are free of mites as ide like a pair too. For me they are the only reptile shop that does garter snakes in my area. Ive checked with a few people i know that deal with them and nobody has a bad word to say about them.

I understand alot of folk on here will think im a very silly boy but im all for second chances god knows ive had enough of them.

I have the guys inside a faunarium on paper towel with loo roll hides and a water bowl,gonna monitor them for the next few weeks. They are tiny so if somebody could point me in the direction of feeding them ide be great full... I understand i may get some abuse for what ive done but sorry i couldn't leave them there i wanted them to bad!!

Kindest regards tim
    Bluesirtalis

No matter who you buy your animals from whether it be the most reputable shop in the world or the greatest breeder in the world always quarantine your snakes! If you buy snakes from pet shops or reptile shows you will more than likely run across mites some time or another and mites on one snake are usually not that hard to deal with, but if you don't quarantine and they spread to your collection you will have a mess on your hands.it's up to us to be responsable and take all the necessary steps to keep our animals safe and clean!
    Quote Originally Posted by invisible snake View Post
    channa, i'm sorry you received a snake with mites.

This thread has been very interesting, now i know from whom i'll never purchase a reptile from.
    Bluesirtalis

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    No matter who you buy your animals from whether it be the most reputable shop in the world or the greatest breeder in the world always quarantine your snakes! If you buy snakes from pet shops or reptile shows you will more than likely run across mites some time or another and mites on one snake are usually not that hard to deal with, but if you don't quarantine and they spread to your collection you will have a mess on your hands.it's up to us to be responsable and take all the necessary steps to keep our animals safe and clean!
    And that's why I quarantine my reptiles for 60 days

Quarantine is a very important part of keeping healthy animals.
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husb...lk-thread.html
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

So the mites are back. Kinda getting fed up of it. What do people in the uk use? Provent a mite is not available,callingtons will kill garter snakes and hog nose snakes, zoo meds mite off doesn't do anything at all. The only one left is beaphar insect spray but contains Ivermectin and don't know if that will kill the snakes too.Box says not to be used on animals under 80g and all mine are way under that more like 20g. What do you guys think?

Provent-a-Mite is available to be shipped to the U.K.
    PM me your address and I'll contact them to see what the cost+shipping will be to you.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Quote Originally Posted by channa View Post
    So the mites are back. Kinda getting fed up of it. What do people in the uk use? Provent a mite is not available,callingtons will kill garter snakes and hog nose snakes, zoo meds mite off doesn't do anything at all. The only one left is beaphar insect spray but contains Ivermectin and don't know if that will kill the snakes too.Box says not to be used on animals under 80g and all mine are way under that more like 20g. What do you guys think?

Don't use it. Too much risk. You can keep the mites at bay by soaking the snakes daily. I think I PM'ed you the instruction. Complete cage cleaning with bleach (10 parts water, 1 part bleach) use paper towels for substrate. A water dish and hide is all you need. Watch the paper towel for any crawling dots. Smash them when you see them. Change paper towels daily, placing them in a plastic bag. Freeze the bag then throw them anyway out of the house.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

It is Steve ive emailed them but it's quite expensive to ship and they wont send it recorded delivery so if it goes missing i lose out. Whos to say they send it in the first place. Ive a friend who is on vacation in miami and is going to try get me some while they are there.