Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Re: Brown Snake/DeKay Help with Feeding

Storing them in beer is probably what killed them. Their skin is basically one giant mucous membrane, so they can absorb whatever they're in. Probably for the best that the snake didn't take them. If they had absorbed a lot of the beer it could be bad for him.

Get some dirt and leaves from your yard, put it in a cup or tupperware container, and either put the top on it or wrap the top in saran wrap and put holes in it. They'll crawl out otherwise. Keep the soil moist and put them in a dark, cool place. I kept a couple slugs alive for several weeks like that once.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Another thing you might try is using a set of hemostats or feeding tongs and jiggle a piece of worm close to him/her they like action and seeing something smaller then them move basically triggers thier curiosity and feeding responses... Or even if it attacks a worm chunk out of fear it wont be bad for it and then it would at least have the taste and somewhat of a feel for it in its mouth...

But dont dig through fishing tackle and grab old used hemostats... make sure they are clean and sanitary... wouldnt want the little thing to get sick!
    Jonathan
    0.1 Parietalis - Suzi
    0.1 T.Radix - Xena
    My Public Photobucket

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey all! I'm new here, in a fairly similar circumstance to Eliza311. Caught a Storeria dekayi in my work and it's currently too cold to let him go. I caught him on the 22nd, bought him a tank and substrate and a hiding spot and a bunch of food from PetSmart. They initially told me to feed him minnows, since that's what they feed their garter snakes. But I came to find out his species and that they aren't garter snakes and their diet in the wild is mostly earthworms, snails, and slugs. He hasn't eaten in front of me yet and I've tried leaving him alone with food multiple times. I get increased anxiety each time I try to feed him and he doesn't eat. He's also extremely nervous when handled and always nearly constantly tries to get out of hands/run away. I'm really praying this will lessen with time. He has a heating pad under his tank on the outside so he has a warm side, etc.. Happy to supply a photo if needed. I currently have red wigglers, which I got at PetSmart, but hoping to head to a tackle shop at some point tomorrow to grab some small earthworms. Whenever I put the wigglers or the earthworms in front of him, he just seems intimidated and either moves away or ignores them. He has coconut shavings soil substrate. Not sure if I should switch to normal soil or paper or what. I know this thread has been inactive for over a year, but any help is greatly appreciated. I'm really loving this little guy and want to seem him thrive as best as possible. Also I would like to know what ended up happening with Eliza311. Thanks so much.

Giovanni

"Fourth shed In Progress" slipknot711's Avatar

red wrigglers arent good, but the earthworms are. did you try cutting the earthworms up?
    Ashley: instagram-> @ashes1187

What conditions was the snake found in? dekayis are much more cold tolerant then garters. No red worms or minnows.
    Earthworms would be great. Most wild caught snakes take sometime to settle in. Some longer then others. Be sure to supply a good clean water supply. Hopefully our resident expert/moderator on dekayi (Wayne-infernalis) will post up to lend his wisdom to the mix.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

So, update: he ate just a little around the next day after posting this. I tried dangling a dilly worm (I guess it's just a smaller nightcrawler) in front of him, mild interest but not taking after trying multiple things, I finally held him and he snapped at the end of the worm while I was holding him by towards his tail. Nervous that he wouldn't be able to eat the whole thing , I cut it while he was eating, so he probably ate like a third of the worm. He's seemed to refuse most food since. He was found in my work, I work at the front desk of a gym and I found him towards the back of the place. I've been keeping water in his bowl, though I've never actually seen him drinking from it. I have so many questions constantly while having him around, I'm always so nervous for him.

Being held by/near the tail will not help to keep him calm or settle in. You both need some time to settle into this new relationship. You will have to adjust to the snakes timing as that's the way it is.
    Getting him to eat at all is a plus. Where are you located? Could be that the snake is just coming out of brumation.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm in Massachusetts, so it's possible maybe! He's my first snake so I hardly know the first thing about us getting to know each other and how to make him more comfortable.

Put him in a moderate traffic area so he can learn humans are just part of his new world. When he's out stop and talk to him. He'll learn quickly you are not there to hurt him. As this all progresses you can place your hand in the tank and see if he will come out to investigate. Eventually, he'll crawl through your hand, at this time you can start lifting him out/up.
    The best way to get him to trust you is through his stomach. Once he associates you with food the battle is over.
    Do you have a pair of hemostats? They are great for feeding snakes.
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gene...s-members.html
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Yes hemostats are a great tool for getting a snake to adjust to you and your hands
    2.2.1Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis Ekoh, Amaunet, Emily, Copper,
    1.0 Canis familiaris Chihuahua Hershey
    1.1 Felis catus Jinx and Rocky

Where understanding lives, danger (and fear) dies.