Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: what snake?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Re: what snake?

In other words, Mark, don't just trust what the store tells you. If you really want to know what snake it is, get some clear pics and post them here where the experts can tell you for certain.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

"Preparing For Second shed" mark cope's Avatar

these are all i have at the moment

I'm still saying that looks exactly like Chris's parietalis without the red. Or...it does look a little like some of the easterns that I have seen in the northern states. Chris has been really busy lately...but I will send him a PM and tell him to look at this thread. I'm going to start a new thread asking about your snake Mark.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

The Lateral stripe seems to be confined to rows 2 & 3. upper labials 7, I think? So is it Possibly an Eastern?
    ATB, Rod

I started a thread for this...we are getting some parietalis votes too. The problem is I think parietalis might have 7 supralabials too. It also has the lateral stripes....I believe. I'm so confused anymore...Lets call them all new names.
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Banned

Yes, any T. sirtalis will have 7, occasionally 8. (of those that have 8, it's usually just a "split" scale, sometimes on just one side) That includes parietalis, concinnus, pickeringi, infernalis, tetrataenia... etc. All T. sirtalis including T. sirtalis sirtalis (eastern). That doesn't help with subspecies I.D. Finding out what rows the lateral stripes are confined to doesn't help either. These scale counts are what makes them all T. sirtalis'. It doesn't tell us anything about the subspecies!

I guess that the bottom line is, sure, an eastern could look like this snake and the scale counts would "fit". But the same is true of a red sided without the red. It's just my opinion that it's the latter.

So where's this new thread? Are you going to make me look for it? C'mon, link.

Marnie

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I'd put good money on this snake being the same batch as our Nobby - Mark, do you have a weight and approximate length for your one?

Here's a picture of Nobby, the similarities are uncanny (or maybe not uncanny, given both were sold as "Northern Garters":

Attached Images Attached Images
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia