Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Breeding Progress

She's a nice looking animal for wild caught, Charles.
    James.

Really nice photo, Charles. I see you took it in mid-January! When did you take them out of brumation?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Just another update on this female weight/length issue I keep blabbing about. She's up to 80cm (31.5"), will weigh her next monday or tuesday when I get my scale back, but she's looking pretty big right now.
    She's up to 123 grams now, shed some time between thursday evening and sunday, fed on monday.

My male is trying real hard to mate, but the female is completely ignoring his attempts and as far as I can tell, she's not pregnant. He's refusing to eat too and the female ate less than usual last time I fed her.

Just in case somebody more experienced might notice something that I don't.

The next time she eats, feed her more than usual to stretch her scales apart. It exposes more of the pheromone that drives the males crazy. He'll intensify his courtship if they're still courting. If not, drop their temperature down to about 6C for one night. Return the temp to normal the next morning, and their courtship will re-intensify (unless of course they've already bred).

Rick

He just made himself and the female fall off the branch, landing in the water bowl. I don't think he needs more incentive.

Yeah, I read about that. IIRC, parietalis males were subjected to lower temperatures for a day and a half, then they brought the temp back up and that triggered courtship behavior. About the temperature, is 6C the absolute minimum you should use or is 4C still safe? What are the risks? I assume they should be allowed to completely digest their last meal before you throw them in the fridge.
    Last edited by Stefan-A; 05-02-2007 at 04:32 AM.

I just give a bit more "comfort room" and only drop the temp to around 6C. The last time I did it, the lowest temp actually got to 5C, so I don't think the exact temp is critical. I just wouldn't suggest dropping them much below 4C (for obvious reasons). I also turn off all supplemental heating the day before I drop their temperature, so it simulates a cool day and cold night. I also put them in plastic shoe box at room temperature before putting them in the refrigerator to reduce how fast their temperature falls.

There's no need to allow them to digest completely before such a brief temperature drop. The food won't spoil, and there aren't any ill effects. I just cool them overnight (8-10 hours), and the results are impressive.

I was thinking about them regurgitating the food. Anyway, I think I might give it a try.

As you said, there's probably no need as long as they're both still active. I use it if their courtship is fading (or done) and they haven't already mated. Then you get about 3-4 more days of intense courtship. As for the food, I've never had a problem, but... I hate to even mention it... I wouldn't feed them on the same day the you put them down.

Rick

Both snakes have now officially gone off feed. The female hasn't eaten for a week and the male hasn't eaten for nearly two. I can't remember the female ever refusing food, she even eats when she's in the blue phase. Comparing her to the pregnant snakes I've seen pictures of on this forum, she's still relatively skinny, though.

I suppose this still belongs under this topic, even if it's on the fine line between breeding progress and the lack thereof.