Page 460 of 469 FirstFirst ... 360410450458459460461462 ... LastLast
Results 4,591 to 4,600 of 4688
    "Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

Re: The Nature Photography Thread

Morels...one of my favorite pastimes....dont forget the fiddleheads...yummy...couple of weeks we should start to see some mushrooms
    Dan

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

If i dont eat the morels faster than i pick them i try to save some to make a "spring chowder"...as follows...3 cans cream o mushroom with appropriate amount of heavy cream instead of milk or water add sauteed morels simmer for 15 min...fresh trout fillet cubed for 10min add fiddleheads for the last 5.....otherwise the morels get home washed and fried in butter but they dont stay around very long that way...ohhh my mouth is watering!!
    Dan

SPREADING MOREL SPORES: i take my first harvest usually the larger darker ones and put them on a piece of glass....turn on the dehumidifier in the corner as to not blow the spores around and overnight you will find a "ghost ring" of spores from the mature fruit....scrape it toghether with a credit card and store in a glass vial for up to six months.....when u go on your next morel trip take some spores put in a water bottle and mix well....it must be spread within 6-8hrs or you will drown the spores....i put them places i think mushrooms should be but have not found any.....no scientific proof but my attempt to replace the spores i have stolen from mother nature.IMAG0611.jpg
    Dan

My grandma got me eating morels and poke. The recipe i use for the poke is I've is picked soak it in salt water for a few hours to help remove the bugs then i go and get a big pot to boil them (i have heard they can be poison/semi poison if not boiled) then till tender then i take then out of the water to cool and stop the cooking. After they cool enough i take them and cut them into small pieces sometimes with or without the leaves. After that take a few eggs depending on how much poke you gathered crack then in a spare bowl. Then i get an onion and sautee them about half way the i add the best eggs and poke to the onions that are in the pan and add some fresh garlic either sliced diced or put in a garlic press whatever ya like. Then on about medium high heat cook till the eggs are done how ya like them let it cool and eat up.

This is the only way i have cooked them because i don't know many people that easy poke because they think its poison regardless of how its cooked. But that just leaves more for me lol. If any one had any other recipes put then up odd love to try it different ways.

I got a question about fiddle heads. Can you eat any of them that start out like that? All ferns look about the same to me that's why i ask. How do you prepare the fiddle heads, and what do they go with meat wise?

Almost forgot that when picking morels the best way to spread does is to keep then in a mesh like bag so that while you walk looking for more they drop spots everywhere and better chances they pop up next year in different/more places. I don't know if this is better than your idea its just the one i always hear about.
    Last edited by jwolfe152; 04-05-2014 at 12:37 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
    2.2.1Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis Ekoh, Amaunet, Emily, Copper,
    1.0 Canis familiaris Chihuahua Hershey
    1.1 Felis catus Jinx and Rocky

Where understanding lives, danger (and fear) dies.

No they are not all edible...do a google search for different ferns and fiddleheads they are pretty easy to tell apart but as with all wild edibles if you are not sure let them be...also look out for the false morel. There are lots of other edible mushrooms which i have books and smartphone apps for but sometimes the mushrooms look just a little different and can be poison. Best is to find an oldtimer with knowledge and they might even show you a sweet spot.
    Dan

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

took Gromit on the sand dunes for a walk and found this little fella sunning himself! I think hes a common lizard from the colouration, not a sand lizard, despite the location, but still, my day is made!
    IMG_3606.jpg IMG_3607.jpg IMG_3608.jpg
    Inge
    our house is like a zoo, too many to list here!

Very nice.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" CrazyHedgehog's Avatar

a slow worm found (and returned to) my brothers grass pile at the bottom of his garden
    P1010005.jpg P1010006.jpg P1010007.jpg P1010009.jpg
    Inge
    our house is like a zoo, too many to list here!