Page 451 of 608 FirstFirst ... 351401441449450451452453461501551 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,510 of 6080
    "Preparing For Fourth shed" snake man's Avatar

Re: Other pets (pics and discussions)

He looks exited.
    0.1 Red axanthic x red radix

Quote Originally Posted by Invisible Snake View Post
    I only ask because I posted on a cornsnake forum that I housed a few babies together by size and sex, and people were posting that that is animal cruelty because corns aren't social animals and need to be housed individually. They said that "cohabbing" is an accident waiting to happen and that when I see the corns all huddled together that they were competing for resources like the best hide or warm spot and warned me of potential cannibalism.
    People have a lot of opinions. On everything. Sometimes the most innocuous things spawn the most passionate responses and every guy and his grandma transform a simple opinion given by SGOTI into (pseudo)science. I'd like to see what ethology has to say about cohabitation, not because I expect it to confirm my opinion, but because it would settle the debate.

Yes, animals compete. Big ****ing deal.

Yes, corn snakes aren't social animals. That doesn't mean that they are antisocial.

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    Your a lucky man to have such a great fine companion as Tank.
    For how long will tank continue to grow?
    It's funny you use the word companion. I think Tank has bonded with me as he seeks me out. He doesn't go too far away from me when I take him outside and always comes right back to me. Not normal behavior for a snapping turtle. I'm glad we are close. He's such a joy to interact with.
    He should top out at 50-60 pounds. Then the growth will be very low.
    Hoping for 20lbs by Christmas this year.
    He's at 16.4 lbs at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by snake man View Post
    He looks exited.
    He always seems excited with whatever is going on.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Preparing For Fourth shed" snake man's Avatar

Thats really cool.
    0.1 Red axanthic x red radix

I see nothing wrong with discussing corns in this thread. Isn't that what this thread is for? I have held a couple of corns that seemed very social to me. I kind of bonded with one that I used to visit at a pet store near me. If I had had the money, I would have bought her.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"Third shed, A Success" HazAnga's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    I see nothing wrong with discussing corns in this thread. Isn't that what this thread is for? I have held a couple of corns that seemed very social to me. I kind of bonded with one that I used to visit at a pet store near me. If I had had the money, I would have bought her.
    I think it's more of a social with each other. Thing is you wouldn't necessarily see a group of corns with each other like you would a bunch or garters. In the most case when a garter eats another garter it's mistaken food when eating together. Corns... well you can have a couple (Baby's to Adults) together and next day look in your cage and find only one, without the other have escaped. And Most cases neither live through it. Corns and Rat snakes are both within the same species group as a king snake, which DOES eat other snakes. It's like a Pit bull (And please don't go on with pit bulls I'm just using an example) You can be the best pitty owner and have the tamest pit bull ever... it will still have that instinct, because that's what they were bread for and that's what they did.
    I Believe in Separating corns at every age other then breeding times. I'm not a breeder, i hope to be a successful breeder in future but i still wouldn't recommend co-habbing Corns.
    I'm sorry for the bit of a rant but i think every corn owner needs to understand this point.

There's something different about Garters that they enjoy each others company and with some rely on that company.
    Call me Nick
    0.1 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (Bo)
    http://forestcitycorns.webs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HazAnga View Post
    I think it's more of a social with each other. Thing is you wouldn't necessarily see a group of corns with each other like you would a bunch or garters. In the most case when a garter eats another garter it's mistaken food when eating together. Corns... well you can have a couple (Baby's to Adults) together and next day look in your cage and find only one, without the other have escaped. And Most cases neither live through it. Corns and Rat snakes are both within the same species group as a king snake, which DOES eat other snakes. It's like a Pit bull (And please don't go on with pit bulls I'm just using an example) You can be the best pitty owner and have the tamest pit bull ever... it will still have that instinct, because that's what they were bread for and that's what they did.
    I Believe in Separating corns at every age other then breeding times. I'm not a breeder, i hope to be a successful breeder in future but i still wouldn't recommend co-habbing Corns.
    I'm sorry for the bit of a rant but i think every corn owner needs to understand this point.

There's something different about Garters that they enjoy each others company and with some rely on that company.
    Thamnophis has 2 snake eaters, Pantherophis has 0. You have to jump to a higher taxonomic rank with corns in order to group them with any snake eaters.

Garters are no different and I've seen no relevant difference in behavior when cohabitating Thamnophis and cohabitating Natrix. Snakes congregate, because they have the same needs, and what garters would do alone, they do in groups.

"First shed In Progress" GarField000's Avatar

I see a lot off difference in keeping snakes here in holland and in the US/Canada.
    If I look at the cages we never use fishtanks because they go open from above which could cause stress to the animal.

If I talk about corns ..... we do house them together. If you have them for social in your (living) room I think 85% will keep more then one snake in a tank.
    I have corns for some years now, and are active on cornfora, but I have never heard anyone that a corn was eaten by an other corn.
    Yes I heard it, but then they feed them toghether in te same tank .... yes then an accident can happen.

I don't think you can compare Pantherophis with Lampropeltis. It's a different species. Lampropeltis is know for kanabalism.

The only people that house corns seperate are the breeders. It's easy, quick and very good to see who eats, sheds and whos poop is not good.
    But that is not in a tank but in curverboxes like this.

I don't say corns are social, there are some advantages in housing them seperate I know .... but kanibalism is not an issue here in holland.

I will start this issue in a dutch corn forum ....
    12.11 Thamnophis
    2.10 Pantherophis guttata guttata
    0.0.1 Brachypelma auratum
    1.0 Furcifer pardalis ambilobe 'red bar'

This mornig I got up and fired up my laptop which sits on the living room floor near Tank's water enclosure. He sleeps on a large dog cedar pillow which is right in front of the water enclosure. I got down on the floor and saw Tank trying to get the blacket off his head so I helped him. The next 30 minutes was spent discussing with him his day and why he should get up and what a wonderful turtle he was. With his neck stretched out he was within an inch of my face. I try to talk to him in his ear so that he can feel the vibrations of my voice. He never pulled away or made any aggressive moves. Many yawns took place during this time but each time he returned his face next to mine. With much encouragement Tank finally made his way to the water and took care of his business. Then it was out to his blanket. He worked his way under the blanket but stuck his head out the other end. I spent another hour talking with him.
    There was not aggression or even apprehension from Tank. This coming from an animal that will always shy away from human contact. An animal that is defensive to almost everything. Not Tank. He will seek me out in most situations and chooses to be near me. Whether that is outside or in the house. I feel fortunate to have this relationship with Tank. I do keep in mind what he is and what he's capable of doing but have seen no signs that he is unsure/scared of his life situation.
    I just wanted to share my morning with someone.
    Thanks for listening.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I think I speak for everyone when I say, we love to hear about Tank
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie