Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Naughty Northwestern

So... Now Snap and Hades are acting like this. Hades is usually a good boy who comes up to my hand and acts all sweet, until you pick him up... So I don't get what's going on with them. They're being extremely evil.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Maybe it's evil snakie time...who knows? I really think with Cee Cee it has to do with her now thinking my fingers are food everytime I stick them in her enclosure. She's been doing this ever since I started feeding her with the hemostats. When I would feed her with the hemostats, I would go to her tank with a dish of food and sit down in front of her tank on the floor. I would sit the dish on the floor so that I could open her tank and then stick the hemostats in the front of the tank with a piece of food. Now, everytime I sit down on the floor in front of her tank, she comes over to the door and looks outside and down onto the floor for food...then she starts poking her head out of the tank and smelling my fingers and getting that look on her face like she's going to take a bite of me! Tonight, I was feeding Seeley some fish and she must have smelled it...she started slithering all over and looking at the floor for a dish...I opened her tank and she popped her head out and started darting for my fingers. I finally gave in and gave her another pinky....(she ate last night)...pig snake!
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

What is wrong with you Marnie. Be strong, don't let Cee Cee push you around. The next time she tries that .......... hold on.
    You should see my big girls. They're at the screen begging for a treat. Back in a few.

Now, where were we? Oh yeah, Cee Cee. As I was saying. The next time she tries that stuff just don't feed her. She'll learn you can't be manipulated and controlled.

Be strong, like me.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    Maybe it's evil snakie time...who knows? I really think with Cee Cee it has to do with her now thinking my fingers are food everytime I stick them in her enclosure. She's been doing this ever since I started feeding her with the hemostats. When I would feed her with the hemostats, I would go to her tank with a dish of food and sit down in front of her tank on the floor. I would sit the dish on the floor so that I could open her tank and then stick the hemostats in the front of the tank with a piece of food. Now, everytime I sit down on the floor in front of her tank, she comes over to the door and looks outside and down onto the floor for food...then she starts poking her head out of the tank and smelling my fingers and getting that look on her face like she's going to take a bite of me! Tonight, I was feeding Seeley some fish and she must have smelled it...she started slithering all over and looking at the floor for a dish...I opened her tank and she popped her head out and started darting for my fingers. I finally gave in and gave her another pinky....(she ate last night)...pig snake!
    Just a suggestion, I don't know how often you handle Cee Cee but I read somewhere that if you don't handle your Garters often enough that they don't stay tame. You can "re-tame" them if you will, but it takes a little bit of time for them to get used to being handled again. I'm just throwing it out there.
    Last edited by angrygamer; 01-20-2012 at 12:41 AM.

That's not always true, I never really hold Snap, but the longer I go without holding her, the tamer she is (for a while). Some snakes just hate it when you pick them up, and it stresses them out even more when you force contact with them
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    That's not always true, I never really hold Snap, but the longer I go without holding her, the tamer she is (for a while). Some snakes just hate it when you pick them up, and it stresses them out even more when you force contact with them
    Yeah, but how much do you handle her say, on a weekly basis?

None. I pick her up kist when I need to clean the tank. She doesn't like being held, so I don't hold her. Every once in a while I'll give her a little love and hold her for maybe 15 minutes a couple times within a month or two, but for the most part handling is kept at a minimum, because otherwise she becomes unhappy and a serious grump.
    Chantel

None. I pick her up kist when I need to clean the tank. She doesn't like being held, so I don't hold her. Every once in a while I'll give her a little love and hold her for maybe 15 minutes a couple times within a month or two, but for the most part handling is kept at a minimum, because otherwise she becomes unhappy and a serious grump.
    They can be tamed into being handled, it just takes time.

Some of them don't. She's never going to like being handled.
    Chantel

Some of them don't. She's never going to like being handled.
    Oh, I agree.