Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Never shed

Re: Getting ready to make a better enclosure

Thank you again, should be perfect for this cage and what I want to do.

I have tons of willow and other wood right behind my house and across the street. Just have to drill it out and cut it in half then bake it or pour boiling water over it. I remember the boiling water trick from another site. Is a great way to sterilize rocks instead of taking the chance of having the rocks explode from boiling them. Is actualy a trick or leasosn I learned in Boy Scouts. Troop leader showed us how quick a rock can explode and the damage it can do if you are not really careful. Granted this was in a fire but I have heard of and read about rocks exploding from boiling too.

I think I read somewhere that willows give off something dangerous. I know when you work with willow wood you should where a filter.
    I'll see if I can find where I read it.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

You could be right about some willows but I think these are different. Being there is litteraly a forest of them on all sides of the house and the sankes live in them, swim in the water they grow in and such I would have to make an edumacated guess that this type is not bad for them. These are pussy willow, swamp willow and bush willows, not the true willow trees like the weeping willow. Again, I am just making an educated assumption so if anyone knows otherwise please let me know before I put it in the cage.

I think I found what you heard, salicin is an ingredient found in white willow. It is a medical equivelant of aspirin. Cutting and handling of wood should be done carefully due to possible exposure to salicin especialy in people proned to: ulcers, asthma, reactions or allergies to aspirin. Teen and children should handle carefully if ill with chicken pox and other ailments associated with Rye Syndrone.

If you find anything on other types of willow please let me know.

Also, I believe mine are pussy willows so maybe that makes a difference.
    Last edited by fish_4_all; 10-30-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: researched and found more information, elaborated in willow type

I went and got a couple of "clamp lamps" at Home Depot yesterday. Yjeu had 6 1/2 " lamps for about $6.00. perfect for your 10 gallon tank.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Banned

Be careful with those cheapy clamp lamps. Low wattage only and no ceramic heat emitters!

Dome light "clamp lamps" with ceramic sockets are the only one's appropriate for reptile use IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Dome light "clamp lamps" with ceramic sockets are the only one's appropriate for reptile use IMHO.

Except when they are $20 bucks a shot and my cat keeps knocking them onto the tile floor Then they are a fire hazard...
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Banned

That's what I was saying about the cheap ones. Unless your using low watt bulbs that don't get very hot, they are a fire hazard without getting knocked to the floor.

Anyway, I didn't pay $20. That's ridiculous. They aren't that high even at petco dot com and you know how overpriced petco is. I paid around $10 for the big one (10 inch dome) and around $7 each for the small ones.(5.5 inch) Picked up a couple of used ones, perfectly good, for around $3 each. Flukers clamp lamps.

Not here...
    Le Ann

Banned

Doesn't surprise me. You're a million miles from nowhere. I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to tolerate that without means to shop online. If you can do that, it doesn't much matter where you are. You're still going to get the lamps and other supplies much cheaper, even after shipping costs.

Actually, being a million miles from everywhere has it's disadvantages as well...

Half way between Boston and New York, I'm screwed. Besides living in Connecticut to start with...

Online is about the only way to find a deal, maybe. They are out there, just not that many. Not complaining, will make due with what we have and improvise
    Le Ann