Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Re: "Anery" Concinnus Arrived!

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I guess I'm as green as they come since I didn't understand any of that last sentence. First off, why would you only want one instead of a pair? second, there are no albino concinnus (prove me wrong) and I don't even know what to say about the snow dance.
    What I meant.... and yes to my knowledge there aren't any albino concinnus available either which is why I said I would want one. But anyway what I meant was that if I had and anery concinnus and could then also aquire an albino concinnus (if one were to pop in somewhere from the wild) then I would try to create a snow concinnus.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

The anery plains is a little complicated because it really shows characteristics of all three of the overly-simplified gene names; axanthic, anerythristic, and melanistic.
    1. It does perhaps show melanistic charateristics, in that it does show increased black look, however that could be from an increase in melanin or a decrease in the other overlaying pigments (by the way it is not a solid black snake, and it does show pattern in grays)
    2. It does demonstrate typical classical anerythristic traits in that it takes away the red-orange of the Nebraska albino when the snow is produced.
    3. It does demonstate typical classical axanthic traits in that it takes away the yellows of the Iowa albino when the snow is produced.

The problem is that we have to put name on a gene and put it into a simple name group to be able to reference the animal with "said" gene, but the reality is that the gene could have multiple effects on a pathway and the final visual outcome and it may not not be "black or white", there is often a lot of gray area as to which group these genes fits into.

So I don't think anery is necessarily wrong, or needs to be changed, even if one of the other names may seem to be a better fit.
    The important thing is that it is a single recessive gene, and it has been characterized what the power of that gene can do and that is has a predictable inheritance pattern, and that work has all been done by Scott Felzer, so lets just respect that fact.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

i think all garter snows are albino melanistic crosses, look at the nebraska snow, looks similar to eastern snow. Melanistic eastern, anery plains, anery red sided are all the same morph....black with no yellow,orange or red pigment of any kind so call em what you want....melanistic,axanthic,anery all terms could apply

"Third shed, A Success" MasSalvaje's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHSNAKE View Post
    i think all garter snows are albino melanistic crosses, look at the nebraska snow, looks similar to eastern snow. Melanistic eastern, anery plains, anery red sided are all the same morph....black with no yellow,orange or red pigment of any kind so call em what you want....melanistic,axanthic,anery all terms could apply
    Very true, these names are by name means air tight when it comes down to pure genetics but it is an easy way to help distinguish a morph from the normals and other morphs so it gives it more selling power and easier recognition, it is all about the marketing.

-Thomas

Banned

I suppose so. I do think it's appropriate to call these anery but perhaps "green phase" anery would be more descriptive.

I don't think any more selling is going to be happening until we can produce litters of these. In spite of sighting dozens of these, I really don't want more than 3 pairs taken, if we can manage with just those 6 snakes, that would be great. I can always "borrow" WC snakes later, to widen the gene pool if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    What I meant.... and yes to my knowledge there aren't any albino concinnus available either which is why I said I would want one. But anyway what I meant was that if I had and anery concinnus and could then also aquire an albino concinnus (if one were to pop in somewhere from the wild) then I would try to create a snow concinnus.
    there was one years ago...when I first checked out thamnophis.com....had a pic of one on there. no info on it tho

Banned

An albino is what I assume you are referring to. I heard that too, but nobody has produced a pic and certainly have not seen any for sale. Could have been a single WC I suppose but none have ever been recorded in the wild as far as I know. Anery's have been reported in the wild before, very rarely, just not like these, and not so many of them. Also, many snakes stated as being "concinnus" are not concinnus.

Also, if you notice, even these anery's have some other colors going on there. I think that producing a snow would be a very far long shot. Besides that, who cares? aren't there enough snows out there? they all look the same to me - ugly.

If anything, I think it would be very cool to produce one that is axanthic+amelanistic but retain the orange or red coloring and perhaps some of the blue, if that's possible. Now that would be cool.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHSNAKE View Post
    I agree the terms may apply but a nebraska snow or albino is not completely albino. They still retain the ability to produce pigments that Iowa albinos cannot. This is clearly seen. Amy has NO pigment whatsoever in the areas that would be dark on a normal. Nebraska's still have some pigment going on there and to me, would more properly be called hypomelanistic, not amelanistic. And all those morphs you mention are not the same thing even though they may look similar.

A iowa albino like my amy would only have to be axanthic as well, and she'd be a snow. In fact, she's het for axanthic albino (iowa snow) and "christmas" albino, AND nebraska albino as well! Some of her siblings and one of her parents were snows. Other siblings were nebraska's and christmas albinos! I bet I could breed her to a just axanthic male and have a pretty good chance of producing axanthics which are other than missing yellow, normal. She's het for at least 3 different recessive traits which is nice. Thanks again Don, for the great price for her. She has great morph breeding potential.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

good luck with your plains garter snakes

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post

A iowa albino like my amy would only have to be axanthic as well, and she'd be a snow
    I have one of these... it's not an iowa snow though, the iowa snow is the black anery plains bred to iowa albino. The albino/axanthic is awesome, that's for sure. She's got all her pattern and even some blue! I've got a little axanthic male and and adult axanthic female as well. My 2 male anery's het Iowa/nebr. albinos are courting her! If they produce I will get axanthics and normals 100% het anery and poss. het for two albinos. Unless the female has unknown hets... this should be great fun! I like the axanthic morph because there is no playing around with "hets" for it, it either is axanthic, or a normal! No waiting an extra generation to produce them.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!