Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: Shannons' Snake Videos.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    The homemade thingy with the drop down doors needs work. Looks fantastic but functionally?.... needs work.
    haha, tell me something I DON'T know! It was built by a person who knew nothing about snakes, when I was like, 16 yeaars old. Functionally, the cages are FINE except for the doors. That's the only thing about them. It functions very well with holding heat, and concealing light fixtures, and it's easy to clean, but the doors have to go. When we move out I do plan to strip the doors off those cages and put sliding ones or side openers on. probably side openers because they're easier to make and will be infinitely cheaper. We will model them exactly after the frame built for Ra's cage, so they will be escape proof. My biggest complaint about my snakeroom is those doors. (poor me, complaining at all with a setup like that, right?) And also the fact that the snakeroom doors are not sealed off from the rest of the house... oh, and that it's carpeted...

I did add substrate guards to those cages to stop substrate from falling out the bottom of the doors and it worked SO well. There are also safety latches on the sides of the doors to prevent accidental unlockings. The snakes that live in those cages NOW are all larger, not-garters. So really, I don't need to do a whole lot of messing around in there as if I wound with garters.

When we move out, and I have a chance to set things up for MYSELF, I will do things very differenty. The new snakeroom will have solid, smooth, easy to clean floors, doors that are sealed the same way the doors going to the outside of a house are, and preferrably, a wash basin.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Banned

Yeah well. In spite of a few snags, I'm still jealous. I am definitely going to need a rack similar to the one that holds 10 gal tanks. I need one that will hold 20 and 10 gal slide-lock tanks. Although I can't have as many snakes as you do, or a dedicated room, I already know I'm going to end up with a rack full. Is that home made? BTW, love the rat snakes. They're beautiful.

Yeah well. In spite of a few snags, I'm still jealous. I am definitely going to need a rack similar to the one that holds 10 gal tanks. I need one that will hold 20 and 10 gal slide-lock tanks. Although I can't have as many snakes as you do, or a dedicated room, I already know I'm going to end up with a rack full. Is that home made? BTW, love the rat snakes. They're beautiful.
    Thanks! the rat snakes are going into brumation this week along with the rest of my breedables. I picked up a brand new big fridge tonight just for them.

The rack system was purchases fro BoaMaster. I love it for some of my other snakes but i don't have any garters in it. They HATE the rack system and I can't stand to see them so depressed. Rack + Garters also equals worst feeding time ever. You open up the tubs and they FREAK out because they are excited about the food and as you are grabbing something to feed them they just ZOOM out of the tub and across the room. The only time I use it for garters is during baby season, when the neo's are split into small groups and divided amongst the baby tubs in the top of the system. If I did not need it for all the babies I would sell the thing and add a 10 gallon tank shelf in it's place. I still might do it, actually.

A large rack with 10 gallon tanks would be GREAT. I love 10 gallon tanks. So versatile. Lightweight, so they're easy to empty and clean/wash. And just the right size for MOST garters, aside from larger females. I have two shelves of 10 gallons and I like them. They are also cheap, the actual tank only costs $10 here, then another $8 for the lid, and $2 for the clamps to secure it. Yep! the more I think about it the more I want to ditch my rack and put about 15 ten gallon tanks in it's place!!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"Preparing For First shed"

what is salmon jello?

great videos by the way. I really enjoyed watching the feeding ones. I've posted the links on another site as well.

Watching Rocket had me on edge though as I thought he might grab the food from a tankmate, or possibly swallow them along with it.

Have you ever had that happen on you?

Banned

Just like regular jello only this jello ^^^ is from salmon. Comes from harvesting immature eggs from adult salmon I believe. Makes good fish bait.

Or I could be way off. Still, looks like a pretty rich treat for snakes anyway.

Just like regular jello only this jello ^^^ is from salmon. Comes from harvesting immature eggs from adult salmon I believe. Makes good fish bait.

Or I could be way off. Still, looks like a pretty rich treat for snakes anyway.
    You are way off.

http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/gene...l-success.html
    http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husb...t-mixture.html

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    I made a little tour of my snakeroom... nothing fancy, just me walking around my snakeroom talking about it!!! There are 2 parts (youtube doesnt want your videos to be longer than 10 minutes)

Part 1
    YouTube - Snakeroom Tour Part 1

Part 2
    YouTube - Snakeroom Tour Part 1

I hope you enjoy the visit
    Enjoyed it very much. I picked my favorite moment. part 1, time 6:00 - 7:06 min When rat snakes attack!

changed the subject so I don't look like a moron.
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 01-09-2010 at 03:24 AM.

Banned

OK, if I must narrow it down to just a few seconds out of all of her (aSnakeLovinBabe on youtube) videos, there is just a few seconds that are my favorite seconds.

I know, it's not necessary but if you must know, Snakeroom Tour part 1. Timeframe minutes 6:51 to 6:57. Oh yeah. My favorite part.

"...we're working with him but..." SMACK! in your face.

Nothing satisfies me more than seeing a snake be a snake. I would never want a rat snake or gopher snake, or cousins, to act "tame". They lose their charm that way. I only hope that they eat well, grow fast, and retain their "attitude". It's one of their traits I admire most. A snake with attitude.

I got the feeling that he's been "worked with" enough and that he does trust you. He just has spirit and want's to "play" so that you don't forget that he's boss.

Jewels (my CB adult pueblan milk) plays games too. she's passive-aggressive. I hate that but love her.

Of course, garters got personality of their own and I admire them most, but for different reasons.
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 01-10-2010 at 11:38 PM.

OK, if I must narrow it down to just a few seconds out of all of her (aSnakeLovinBabe on youtube) videos, there is just a few seconds that are my favorite seconds.

I know, it's not necessary but if you must know, Snakeroom Tour part 1. Timeframe minutes 6:51 to 6:57. Oh yeah. My favorite part.

"...we're working with him but..." SMACK! in your face.

Nothing satisfies me more than seeing a snake be a snake. I would never want a rat snake or gopher snake, or cousins, to act "tame". They lose their charm that way. I only hope that they eat well, grow fast, and retain their "attitude". It's one of their traits I admire most. A snake with attitude.

I got the feeling that he's been "worked with" enough and that he does trust you. He just has spirit and want's to "play" so that you don't forget that he's boss.

Jewels (my CB adult pueblan milk) plays games too. she's passive-aggressive. I hate that but love her.

Of course, garters got personality of their own and I admire them most, but for different reasons.
    Haha,

he has become less and less aggressive towards me since then but he still is always on his guard. I don't hardly ever handle him but he's still choosing to calm down as time goes on. My female is a big pushover

Banned

That was great. There's no way you could have planned that. It was perfect.