Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Newbie

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

Re: Newbie

Are worms a possiblity? It might want to eat a small one.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets23 View Post
    Are worms a possiblity? It might want to eat a small one.
    I did try them last week; I need to get out this evening and find some more to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by Peet View Post
    I did try them last week; I need to get out this evening and find some more to try again.
    The minnows are still your best bet. Mike came by this weekend & picked up the ones for him & Loren. To help him choose which ones to take back, I offered them minnows with the 12" tweezers. All have eaten that way, some more than others. Anyhow, The rest of them will be gone this week. That will make my wife happy, since the aquarium is still sitting on the kitchen table...LOL!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

hi and welcome to a great forum!!!!!!
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bay_area View Post
    The minnows are still your best bet. Mike came by this weekend & picked up the ones for him & Loren. To help him choose which ones to take back, I offered them minnows with the 12" tweezers. All have eaten that way, some more than others. Anyhow, The rest of them will be gone this week. That will make my wife happy, since the aquarium is still sitting on the kitchen table...LOL!
    I'lll try to get some larger guppies tonight when a store in Mountain View gets it's shipment in. If I'm in luck they may get minows as well.
    Get my e-mail about the zonata's? I'm waiting on two at this point. One egg is highly swollen - to about twice the size the other three swelled to for some reason (is there such a thing as a double yolked snake egg that hatches twins?) and the last egg is slightly moldy (has been for weeks) and has some thin spots - so thin you can see the snake's markings throug the shell. The two that hatched look good and healthy.

it is possible to have more than one snake hatch from an egg there is a vid on youtube

found it YouTube - Check this out 18 snakes in 8 eggs!
    ~~~Kevin~~~
    1.3 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (george, checkers, turk and squirt)

Quote Originally Posted by Peet View Post
    I'lll try to get some larger guppies tonight when a store in Mountain View gets it's shipment in. If I'm in luck they may get minows as well.
    Get my e-mail about the zonata's? I'm waiting on two at this point. One egg is highly swollen - to about twice the size the other three swelled to for some reason (is there such a thing as a double yolked snake egg that hatches twins?) and the last egg is slightly moldy (has been for weeks) and has some thin spots - so thin you can see the snake's markings throug the shell. The two that hatched look good and healthy.
    Yes, I got the e-mail. Sorry I didn't reply right away. Super busy with everything & to top it off my Son decided to get married. He calls me about 6 times a day asking questions about the wedding. HOW WOULD I KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT WEDDINGS! LOL!

Congrats on the zonatas! Yes, it could be twins. However, it is probly just one that absorbed alot of water. Those ones are ussually the last ones to hatch. I will try & call you tomarrow

(is there such a thing as a double yolked snake egg that hatches twins?)
    Prehistoric pets once had a clutch that was mostly twins. 2 eggs were triplets!The video is still on youtube.

YouTube - Check this out 18 snakes in 8 eggs!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Minnows worked! Too many "warehouse" pet stores that don't carry minnows have replaced the smaller shops but I finally found one that has them, and both garters ate on their own last night. One had to have a minnow placed in its mouth - but after it swallowed it, and I waited a few minutes and then came back it took a second from my hand so all is well now!
    That one big egg has slits in it this morning. There is a tiny bit of red spotting around one of the slits that has me a bit concerned but I guess that isn't too unusual. maybe a partially formed embryo is in there along with a healthy snake? Many snakes prefer to hatch at night (even in an incubator, they somehow know day from night) and if they can't get the job done before daybreak they hang out in the egg and finish hatching the next evening, so it may be tommorrow before I know the status of "monster egg."

Hi, I'm New Here!

Well the one from the oversized egg is out. Nothing out of the ordinary, just a larger than usual hatchling.