Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Old and wise snake

Re: Healthy weight?? Slowing down for winter??

I actually would not worry so much. They sometimes just naturally cycle them selves. Best of luck!!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Okay, thank you. I will try )

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Also, recheck your temperatures and add a paper towel roll hide that is stuffed with paper towel in one end so that there is only one way in and out. Don't handle him until he's back on track feeding regularly too. After 1 week, offer fish scented extra small f/t pink mice on the lid of a closed deli cup with a few live guppies or minnows inside the deli cup. Only use a very shallow amount of water so as the live fish in the closed deli cup will flop around and stimulate a feeding response.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Steve actually has a method he posted some time ago on how he recommends placing guppies in a open tub with very shallow amount of water. Then placing the garter baby into the container with the flopping fish in hopes that the guppies will trigger a feeding response. He also posted the video. His method is very effective as is the one I described which is a type of tricking method to get the snake to take the prey on top of the deli cup lid. Make sure you use a clear deli cup with holes in it so the garter can clearly see the flopping fish and smell them also.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Hey, thanks for the responses. I took Albert's advice and got him setup with a UTH for belly heat and a basking bulb to raise air temps during the day in a smaller tank (now that he's male). I've offered two feedings since then (one week apart) and he has taken from both. I will definitely try the guppies in the deli cup to get him on some pinkies and for future feedings. It sounds like a great method, thank you all!!

Hi, I'm New Here!

I found a shriveled earthworm in the back of his tank.. the one that I thought he ate. I am now not certain he has eaten at all. I tried container feeding him live fish as shown in Steves video. My store didn't sell any guppies but I read that platies are a safe fish as well and there were a couple small enough. He showed no interest at all I gave it about 20-30 minutes before returning him to his tank. I added the still alive platies into one of my
    tanks and they are somehow thriving. My temperatures are now- during the day a hotspot of 82ish (basking lamp) and a hotspot of 85 (UTH- set to by thermostat) on opposite ends. There are cool spots throughout the tank as the UTH is quite small of around 70-78 degrees and in a 20 gallon long. At night my basking bulb gets turned off which drops half the tank to 68-70 degrees with the UTH still running at 85. I have several hides throughout the tank many which only have one opening and plenty of substrate to bury into. He has just gone into shed which I am hoping once he completes his shed will spark his appetite again. I feel like I am failing this snake and someone more experienced than I would have more success with him, if this is the case please let me know. I just want this lil-guy happy and healthy. He hasn't put on any weight and he has seemed to have lost some since summer.

Well, listen you are doing all the right things and your setup and husbandry sounds correct. Don't get discouraged and just space out the offerings a little more. Make sure to not handle him at all until he's eating for you. Definitely after a shed the animal will have a increased appetite. Most of my garter babies get their food left on a paper towel or small plate on the enclosure floor. Cali reds are very flighty and get spooked easily. Try feeding him by leaving the food on the floor in the tank. Remember to space the offerings and just be vigilant. Consider raising the hot spot to 88F on your thermostat. Your'e not failing, you just have to continue to tweak different things in the environment. We are here to help you get it right.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

If he doesnt eat after he sheds then give him a cooling period. That is the best and most benificial thing to do.

Hi Ninya! Any other updates?