Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: !!garters illegal in Ontario!!

My opinion is that it's ok as long as it doesn't do any serious damage to the population.

Quote Originally Posted by enigma200316 View Post
    My opinion was simply to say that it is wrong to say I dislike people catching wild snakes because thats how you got your CB snakes, so in saying that, we are all guilty of having wild caught snakes....in some way or another!!!!!!
    I just feel that it's a matter of degree
    I blame the small number of people who have no sense for the fact that there seems to be a need for restrictive laws
    yet in light of the fact that there is something worth protecting . . .
    I like to support captive breeding and the people who practice it
    I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a snake to keep as a pet or breeder, but I am a bit put off by - say - the people who take a lot of them from the wild, don't treat them well, and then sell them cheaply
    when there are no laws, it becomes difficult to do anything about those people
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

My opinion was simply to say that it is wrong to say I dislike people catching wild snakes because thats how you got your CB snakes, so in saying that, we are all guilty of having wild caught snakes....in some way or another!!!!!!
    I understood, but had to be difficult!
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

Basilisk (The King of all Serpents) enigma200316's Avatar

I to wouldn't be in favor of those who keep taking theme....it should be easy enough to take a couple and breed from there and sell or what ever,
    after all that shouldn't hurt unless don't take care of them and keep doing it.....

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

Today 06:06 PMenigma200316 My opinion was simply to say that it is wrong to say I dislike people catching wild snakes because thats how you got your CB snakes, so in saying that, we are all guilty of having wild caught snakes....in some way or another!!!!!!

if that is a snide did at me i said i personally couldn't give a t*** if you or anyone else wanted to keep WC snakes but i wouldn't keep then because all their life they have had the fredom to wander and then get shoved into a tank nowhere near the size of the area they have been used to. if you buy a baby from someone then from them being born then all they have known is the small box that the pet store keeps them in. i think if you want to keep a native species then you should get papers with the snake saying that they are CB like Rhea said and not WC. thats where the laws should come into place. i think you should beable to keep native species as long as you have the papers saying its CB. As i said before that is my OPINION! i have not said it to cause offence.

Quote Originally Posted by LushLulu85 View Post
    im not having a dig at thoes that do thats your porogative, its just my opinion.

im not against catching wild snakes but only if you
    1. have the space.
    2. have the knowledge.
    3. no more than two.
    Those are just my beleifs not saying its right.
    Josh

0.0.2 T.s.sirtalis

Basilisk (The King of all Serpents) enigma200316's Avatar

no, no not at you, just in general of my opinion....
    sorry if you took it that way.......truely!!!

It's quite an emotive subject, I guess. In my humble opinion an individual collecting a few specimens for their own personal reasons isn't go to make an impact on the wild population. Commercial collection however, particularly at crucial times of the year, such as emergence from hibernation, could devastate a population. That said, if there were no commercial collecting of reptiles, we in the UK would be asking "What's a Garter Snake"?
    James.

Quote Originally Posted by LushLulu85 View Post
    if that is a snide did at me i said i personally couldn't give a t*** if you or anyone else wanted to keep WC snakes but i wouldn't keep then because all their life they have had the fredom to wander and then get shoved into a tank nowhere near the size of the area they have been used to. if you buy a baby from someone then from them being born then all they have known is the small box that the pet store keeps them in. i think if you want to keep a native species then you should get papers with the snake saying that they are CB like Rhea said and not WC. thats where the laws should come into place. i think you should beable to keep native species as long as you have the papers saying its CB. As i said before that is my OPINION! i have not said it to cause offence.
    Have to agree, but the problem is with the documentation of the animals. That's why us in the US can't keep SanFran garters. It's been decided that there's no way to tell the difference between wildcaught and captive produced snakes. Also it's easier and "cheaper" to just say "NO" rather then trying to set up some sort of certification program. I'd definitely pay what ever fees or pay to have my animals pit tagged to be able to work with T.s.tertrataenia.

Roy
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

no, no not at you, just in general of my opinion....
    sorry if you took it that way.......truely!!!
    sorry i was having a bad day and was very emotional truely sorry xxx friends