Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Snake Trap

Re: Snake Trap

Anything else with the trap?

"Preparing For Third shed" Steven@HumboldtHerps's Avatar

I'm gonna have to take "plywood" for 200 hundred "Bob!"

My favorite unintentional yield of a herp bounty came from the raising/razing (in this case the same) some old weed tarps that happened to cover small boulder piles. All sorts of critters had tunneled under the old fabric: 1 gopher snake, 2 ring-necks, a yellow-bellied racer, and an alligator lizard!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

Sorry for not replying, guys, but these posts were made at a time I couldn't log on to the forum due to some sort of router malfunction.

Anyway, no, I never actually found any snakes that would crawl into the trap on their own. However, the trap did serve a couple of purposes in my Catch And Release Program.

For one, I did find a couple of snakes that congregated around the trap, obviously trying to get the food inside, but hesitant to go into the funnel. So I did catch a couple just from them poking around it.

Second, it served wonderfully as a transport device when I did catch snakes.

Third, I kept frogs in it for a while.

And, finally, and most importantly, methods I used for constructing the trap helped me design and construct my two-part enclosure in which I currently house Little Dude and Scarlett. I keep water on one side (so the snakes have room to enjoy a dip) and land on the other (so they have a nice, dry place for when they're not swimming). A siphon pump, length of plastic tubing, and a bucket make cleaning a snap.

So, even though the trap didn't exactly serve its intended purpose, it has still proven itself very useful to me.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.