Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: wild caught garter -gender and type?

I'm pretty certain the injuries are puncture wounds from a bite, if I had to guess I'd say the two main punctures are canine teeth on a cat (I enjoyed the irony of typing those last few words).
    As Steve said, they will improve over time and each shed will look better. I've seen a cat bite first hand when my parietalis escaped and the cat found her first, Nobby's bite wasn't as bad as you have there, but 9 months later you wouldn't know it was there unless you are looking. Treat with the betadine solution as suggested by Steve, cat's mouths are a reservoir of bacteria and you want to avoid any infection.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Where can I find betadine? I know what it is, just not where to find it. And is there anything special I have to do to it before using it on a snake.
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

Any drug store, Walmart, etc.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by acovert View Post
    Where can I find betadine? I know what it is, just not where to find it. And is there anything special I have to do to it before using it on a snake.
    get a container suitable for the snake to soak in, and make a weak tea looking solution of betadine and water try and keep the water at room temp or a little above it so the lil guy is comfy entering it then just let em soak for 15 -20 minutes should be ok
    Jonathan
    0.1 Parietalis - Suzi
    0.1 T.Radix - Xena
    My Public Photobucket

Quote Originally Posted by Foxrun402 View Post
    get a container suitable for the snake to soak in, and make a weak tea looking solution of betadine and water try and keep the water at room temp or a little above it so the lil guy is comfy entering it then just let em soak for 15 -20 minutes should be ok
    Give the snake a soak in water only so they can drink and poop first. Then the betadine solution.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Alright. We'll see about doing that tomorrow or Saturday, then. So far he is doing great. Active, normal behavior, even if he is a bit calm. I'm in love with the little guy...though, I'm still more attached to my Cuddles!
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

I'm so glad to hear he is still doing well!
    If he continues to eat and poop well for over a week, then id say he has a good chance of a full recovery.
    betadine soaks may help, and a bit of ointment or diaper rash salve can help keep fecal matter from sticking to injuries in the vent area.

Some wild caught snakes realize they *fast* that they've fallen into heaven and quickly beg for food whenever a familiar human is in the room. My male eastern was like that- he was just skinny, dehydrated and constipated when I found him. I thought he'd go right back into the wild as soon as he recovered, but he had other ideas..

He soaked, ate, soaked some more, pooped like a charcoal grille and then started begging for food and attention everytime I came near the quarantine cage which is semi isolated. (No attempts made at training or conditioning.)

He and several of my w.c. Butlerii seldom hide. Some of my captive bred and born hide most of the time in and freak out, at least briefly, when picked up. All I can put it down to is individual temperament.

Betadine solution was applied successfully this weekend. He took another half a nightcrawler and is still pooping regularly. He is calm, but relatively active when he is handled. We are working on acquiring a bigger enclosure for him (he's in the little keeper than I had for Cuddles when he was just a baby). Everything seems fine.
    Ashley
    1.0.1 T. ordinoides
    Cuddles, Scar

Adult snake

Good to hear.
    Not that Steve, a different Steve

Great. Keep up the good work.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!