Page 343 of 469 FirstFirst ... 243293333341342343344345353393443 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,430 of 4688
    I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Re: The Nature Photography Thread

oh.. um.. yeah.. ok.. yeah.. right. Makes perfect sense.

Kidding, i get it. That answers my question. I was just curious. Thanks.

I for some reason didn't know where "tijuana time zone" was. I googled and remember now.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Well, I have some "weeds" growing in my backyard, which keep coming up after I initially planted them 5 or 6 years ago. The tea from those not only is great for killing pain and reducing swelling, but will knock your self out on the floor if you drink too much of it. Oh, and they're pretty too. Almost forgot. One plant that came up last fall and is now freaking huge! I'll get pics later. For now, past season pics of the plants.

And before anyone starts talking about legality, it's perfectly legal for us to grow these here for "ornamental purposes" For several years, I was manually cross-pollinating some of the varieties to come up with new ones. it worked. Came up with some interesting and beautiful new varieties. They pretty much do this on their own now, as I have moved on to new interests. it's kinda cool to see new plants come up each year, and the look of the flower is always a surprise. Never know what I'm going to get.
    OK, here it is. Haven't planted in several years but I got this volunteer just bursting with flowers. It's about 4 feet tall. It's so vivid, it almost hurts your eyes to look at it.

Roses looked like crap the past couple of years so this year I decided to feed them well in January before they start growing back, and started a regular spraying schedule to fight black spot. With all the rain we get, if you don't do that, you get pitiful looking yellow spotted foliage and leaves dropping. Blackspot is a systemic fungal infection. Well the spraying and feeding sure paid off! In spite of our cool wet weather, the blooms this year are spectacular. And this is why they call Portland the "Rose City". Got these strains at the Portland Rose Festival over a decade ago.

These huge flowers are on very long stems that are nearly completely thornless.

Banned

These are actually wildflowers around here. They can pop up in anyone's yard, all on their own. I know mine did. They spread fast too.

Columbine: (not native, but introduced and well established)

Foxgloves in my yard (completely native. Can be seen all across the countryside in western WA and OR) attract hummingbirds. They are a biennial "weed" that requires no care whatsoever in this area.

I love those roses
    My grandma had a species of rose that normally wasn't supposed to be more than the size of a silver dollar, and when she first planted them, they weren't, but she took care of her plants as if they were her children and they got pretty dang large!
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

New to the forum, but love nature photography!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That looks like a light version of the frog my snakes ate. When we had the pond, you could find garters eating them all the time. It's cool.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

That's an awesome picture

Banned

Pacific Chorus Frog. By far, the most common native amphibian in the Pacific Northwest. Even in the middle of the city, a few properties in my neighborhood have man made ponds/fountains and the frogs can be heard calling in those yards at night. It's very easy to raise these up. In nothing but a bowl of water, and fed on flake fish food, they can go from egg to frog in just 60-90 days.

Nice photo Katach.

Froggies!!!
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Thanks! That frog is one of my favorites. Here a few of my others. I love nature photography! It means I get to go hiking or walking or just be outside!
    Attached Images Attached Images