Page 340 of 469 FirstFirst ... 240290330338339340341342350390440 ... LastLast
Results 3,391 to 3,400 of 4688

Re: The Nature Photography Thread

Indeed it would, but, for someone with chronic pain, it is worth it. But since I'm growing mine, I don't have to worry too much about it. First year leaves from the plant are used in teas. I love tea. Stalks for candy, roots for a liquid, external painkiller! Too bad it takes 2 years to get the "good" stuff. I don't mind using the leaves as a tea for a year, though. I can just make as much as I want.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Banned

Well, I have some "weeds" growing in my backyard, which keep coming up after I initially planted them 5 or 6 years ago. The tea from those not only is great for killing pain and reducing swelling, but will knock your self out on the floor if you drink too much of it. Oh, and they're pretty too. Almost forgot. One plant that came up last fall and is now freaking huge! I'll get pics later. For now, past season pics of the plants.

And before anyone starts talking about legality, it's perfectly legal for us to grow these here for "ornamental purposes" For several years, I was manually cross-pollinating some of the varieties to come up with new ones. it worked. Came up with some interesting and beautiful new varieties. They pretty much do this on their own now, as I have moved on to new interests. it's kinda cool to see new plants come up each year, and the look of the flower is always a surprise. Never know what I'm going to get.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

I've seen those... didn't know what they were though. Awesome

Banned

Well now you know. The ones with "lettuce" type foliage with leaves that tend to "wrap around" the stems, are of the "O" type. (Papaver somniferum)

Just so happens to be the same species as "breadseed" poppies, although those are very low in opiates. Mine come from a line bred for high morphine/codeine content but who knows what they can become through cross-pollination and many generations of feral growing in the garden.

All I know is that I can spread these seeds around in fall/winter (they require freezing, or near freezing followed by thawing to germinate) and the seedlings that come up in fall/winter become the best and strongest plants come June/July.

They put on quite a show in early summer, and will thrive in even very poor soil as long as it drains well. Beats the heck out of what used to grow in those areas of my yard. (weeds and thistles). This is one "weed" that will take over and give you a nice show of flowers each year!

My mom has cone flowers that we're going to grow, they are sooooo pretty. I know that cone flowers are used in immune system problem teas. My doctor said she makes a tea out of the whole flower with a little bit of honey and it supposedly keeps her from getting sick over the winter. I have drank it, too... I still got sick, though (I have a pretty bad immune system, though) I enjoyed the taste of it a lot though. I love natural "cures" to ailments. I don't need no stupid pills!
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots

THey're pretty cool "weeds"

Man, i didn't get a pic, but i just found/caught a big old freakin' black rat snake, that could EASILY have been 6-7 feet. Man that thing was mean. I picked him up gently in the middle of his body hoping he wouldn't rip up my arms like the last one i caught, but no such luck. I held him up at head level and he reached the ground!! Awesome.

That's what i get for not having my camera... but i wasn't herping so i didn't expect that.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kibakiba View Post
    it supposedly keeps her from getting sick over the winter. I have drank it, too... I still got sick
    It's funny how many people insist that it does work when controlled studies have consistently shown that makes very little, if any difference.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    That's what i get for not having my camera... but i wasn't herping so i didn't expect that.
    Then it didn't happen. Next fish story please.

Well, Richard, I do believe that if you use natural, organic substances they can help. But, I have a really bad immune system. I cant blame the plant- tea for that, I've always had a bad immune system. A lot of the stuff that people say helps with certain ailments, I find really do work, especially if you believe they do. Sort of like a placebo effect. Some of the stuff I use for pain, a mixture of lavender and a little bit of mint and tea tree oil in coconut oil really helps with the swelling on my foot. I just came up with the concoction on the spot when the pain was getting unbearable. Though, I think it was my mind making me believe it was helping. Powerful stuff is in that head of mine... even if a few screws are loose sometimes
    Chantel