Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast

Re: Other Reptiles/Amphibians

Soorry for your loss ... beautiful colouration on that one.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

this is so nerve-wracking
    my kingsnake Layla is having a male visitor, and I'm not sure how different he - trying to eat her would look from he - trying to mate with her
    don't they bite the female's neck?
    he's a tiny bit bigger than she
    earlier, they disappeared into her hide with their tails entwined, and I had to pick up the hide, to make sure everything was okay
    I'm going to separate them when I'm not here and lock him into a small space with some dead rodents
    sorry - no photos yet; that tank needs a window cleaning
    just keep your fingers crossed nobody eats anybody
    I'm going to go check again now
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Just make sure that when they are together, you are watching them. You can tell when a kingsnake is seeing the other one as food as opposed to a mate. I noticed my male cali king, who doesn't see my female king who's half cali, as anything but a meal, will deilberately start looking for her head in a rather aggressive manner, paying no attention to the rest of the snake and being sure not to touch her at all. (they like to grab other snakes by the head). My other male king, who bred my female this year, was different in his approach. He climbed on top of her back and rode around on her and got himself into position, and only when he was completely on her would he grab her by the neck. And when they grab the femae during mating, they don't try and wrap around them, or chew onto them. They just hold steady and keep twitching, and trying to entwine the tails. It still looks rather mean, but it's nothing like when a kingsnake is trying to eat another snake. You will know that your female is receptive if, upon him biting her neck and pushing his tail against hers, she will deliberately arch her tail into the air to make it easier for the male to connect. If she doesn't do that, and instead is flipping out and frantically pulling her tail away, she is not receptive, and NOT happy... haha
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

okay thanks - that helps
    he does follow her around, but not particularly her head
    mostly they've been just lying curled together under the sub-strate
    here's a really bad quick photo just to illustrate

can't really see the heads, but one is bottom right and the other tucked in somewhere at the top left
    does this look promising and can I leave them alone over night?
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Rhea, sorry to hear all the sad news.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

"Second shed In Progress" Millinex's Avatar

My non garter.

This guy got me back into herps:

Charmander, my baby nile monitor. Suprisingly for a young nile he is pretty docile and we get to hold him pretty often.

Re: My non garter.

Great looking monitor.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I need his mice to arrive soon, 5$ for 3 dozen minnows is such a horrible price, especially when he eats them all in 2 days.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

wow $5 for 3 dozen?!?! at my store they are $.10 each. good luck with your monitor. How are you gonna house him once he's a Charizard?!?!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    wow $5 for 3 dozen?!?! at my store they are $.10 each. good luck with your monitor. How are you gonna house him once he's a Charizard?!?!
    13 cents each + tax = 5$ =/ Thankfully the petco knows me really well and is always very nice and gives me extra

When he gets bigger I'll be moved out and I'll be either building him a large indoor enclosure or giving him a room in my new house by then, when I'm in NC and winters aren't so horrible.

I put an ad on craigslist for a bullsnake a few days ago and got an email today, 20 minute drive by the lady found one on her driveway and caught him for me, I barely missed a pretty damn big one she told me lol, but this 3 footer is great, very feisty to!

The bad part is I can only keep 3 snakes my mother says, because she hates snakes, but knows this is my future profession so she tolerates it. I'm going to release my (what I believe is) male garter later tonight, hopefully he can go be with some of the females and they can fix the snake population at the creek by my house.