Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: Seizures in Eastern Ribbon

Sorry to hear that she died, I was afraid I'd see this update from you today. I'm glad you can see some positives as well.
    Garters can survive on a fish and worm diet if you supplement, so if you are looking forward and thinking about another snake I'd suggest one of the more robust species.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Re: Seizures in Eastern Ribbon

I don't want to make you feel bad...but I know you are looking for answers and I am hoping this may help and may help other members as well. I was just reading that often snakes fed a diet of fish alone can develop a vitamin B1 deficiency which can cause seizures and neurological damage. The seizures usually develop within six months of the fish diet. Supplementing the diet with vitamins or even better, feeding a varied diet that includes pinkies along with the fish can stop the siezures...but if the neurological damage is severe it may not be reversible. Of course you couldn't have known this...and obviously we didn't know this either. And I know you tried to get her to eat other things. Most importantly, we have no way of knowing that this was the cause of your snakes illness. So please don't think that I am trying to say that you caused your snake's illness. I am just saying that this is possibly what could have been the problem...so that you can avoid such problems with future snakes and so that we can all learn from this. I read about it in a book that was recommended to me by another member, "What's Wrong with My Snake?"...it's a very good book and I highly recommend it to other members. I'm sure you tried your best with her and I am sorry for your loss. We do the best we can and that's all we can do.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe