Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Re: rescued a Garter snake, need some advice!!

The photos of the head made me cringe... I was eating my lunch at the time
    The crunch point with this girl is going to be her first meal, if the wounds are healing when eats she should stand a very good chance of making it. What have you tried feeding to her so far?
    I don't think anyone has mentioned that keeping the temperature higher helps her immune system and will help her heal quicker. The best temp may depend somewhat on the type of garter, but I'm thinking 28C, maybe warmer. Steve, any comments?
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

SCOUSER

sorry for the delay with your greeting somehow missed the post
    SO AN EXTRA BIG WELCOME FROM A VERY SUNNY LIVERPOOL.

​I'm not actually a gynecologist...but i'll take a look.

Good advice Chris.
    A Vet. visit would be great. Maybe a shot of Baytril(antibiotic).
    Upping the heat and keeping things clean are very good strategy.
    My biggest fear would be the crushing injuries that can occur.

Is she doing much tongue flicking?
    Doing any drinking on her own?
    What about activity?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I have only just recently tried night crawlers. She has not seemed interested. Her jaw is pretty bad. I have been reading on this site and everyone seems to have good luck with Salmon. I would love any suggestions. I have kept the temps. a bit higher which has seemed to make a world of difference for the healing of the open wounds. She has been with me for 3wks. now. I am now getting worried about her first meal. Has anybody had to use tweezers to feed? Its jaw looks broken. You can see it in one of these pics. It has just hung open a bit. But as I said, it looks better than it did. When Should I really start worrying about food? oh ya, I did want to add, she did (poop), which made me happy knowing her insides are working good!!

@ Steve,
    she is doing a lot of Tongue flicking. She is drinking. She swims in her water bowl very often. She is very active, and behaves like a little lady even when I put Betadine on her. I agree about a vet. visit. Today my goal is to call around for a vet, with in my area!!

Not sure what the regs. are in your area.
    It may be difficult to find any Vet. willing to help if they are prohibited in treating a wild native snake.
    Your report back to me is encouraging.
    Once again I want to thank you for caring for this wonderful snake. Most people would have walked away.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Thank you!! I am a snake lover in general. I just lost a FL. king 6 mo. ago. It broke my heart. This girl is just beautiful and just really captured my heart, with how allowing she is to let me treat her. I wanted to report back. I just went and did my daily cleaning of wounds. She actually yawned and stretched her jaw. It is crooked though. But that gave me hope!!! I am just wondering if I am going to have to help her eat soon. Maybe blended food so it is easier? I made 2 calls or vets. so far no luck!!

SCOUSER

i think salmon just might be the right food for your first feeding attempt, it can be presented from a solid down to mush depending on the consistency you need, yours is one of a number of distressed snakes being treated by members at the moment and they are the first posts i look for when turning on my computer, all the luck in the world for this little fighter
    ​I'm not actually a gynecologist...but i'll take a look.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Not sure what the regs. are in your area.
    It may be difficult to find any Vet. willing to help if they are prohibited in treating a wild native snake.
    I'm not going to be much use with this sort of advice, but I'm sure Steve or someone will be able to clarify . If the vets are prohibited from treating wild snakes... what would the situation be if this snake was taken to the vet as a pet that had got loose and been attacked by the dog?

mmoria00 - It's hard to tell how big/heavy this girl is from the photos (maybe you can pop her on some scales and give us a weight and rough length). But from the photos I think she's big enough to go for 3 weeks without eating, especially at this time of year when in the wild she'd have been thinking about brumating. If she's drinking and keeping hydrated I think worrying about her eating wouldn't be the top of my worries.
    The head wound would be worrying me. If she's yawned then her jaw can't be too bad, maybe some damage that will heal.

As far as feeding from tweezers/tongs - we have 3 that happily take from tweezers, one that will only eat from a bowl on her own. I'd try the tweezers, and if she doesn't eat leave the food in a bowl. Pinjohn had a suggestion that spraying the tank with a mister spray helps keep the fish moist for longer and spreads the scent. I'd try her on salmon. But as I already said, don't be overly concerned if she doesn't eat, unless she's interested in the food and tries to eat but can't swallow due to the damaged jaw.

Keep us updated with progress.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

After doing some searching I did find some info. from the Indiana DNR.DNR: FAQs along with a link to this website.
    The Snakes of Indiana

"Like many other states, Indiana is making an effort to protect its reptiles and amphibians (herpetofauna). Thus the collection and possession of herpetofauna in the state requires a hunting or fishing license for all persons 17 years or older (unless you are collecting on your own farm). Bag limits and seasons are in place to regulate the number of reptiles and amphibians collected each year. Typically, in the case of animals such as snakes, the limit is four. These regulations were established due to the drastic declines in populations of snakes and other herpetofauna throughout the state. Without protection, these species would continue to decline. Endangered species may not be collected or possessed without special permits. There are additional requirements for dangerous species, or for having extra animals for breeding or conducting research. If you have any questions regarding the collection of snakes and other reptiles and amphibians, contact the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, Division of Fish and Wildlife at (317) 232-4080 or your local Conservation Officer."
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!