Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    "First shed In Progress"

Re: My Snake Won't Eat

My mom is a biology professor. She isn't a snake expert, but she works with one. He said that he has a garter snake about the same age as mine. It wouldn't eat at first, because it felt intimidated by it's prey. He got a baby earthworm, cut it up into small pieces with scissors so it died, but was still fresh, and the pieces would not move. The snake ate them. I tried feeding him an earthworm a while back, but he looked at it at first, got interested, but once it moved, he started away from it. I'm thinking I need one that is small, and dead.

Mine eat cut up worms, the adults eat whole worms. Sometimes you need to scent it and chop it up, they tend to perk up more when they smell the worm blood.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

small town of Durand,MI. which ever direction you are going out of or town you wil going uphilll

I have some baby easterns and they eat cut up worm and talopia. None of them liked the salmon. I tried slugs too(make sure you use the right ones) and they didnt like those. Actully they just had no interest at all.
    I wanted to Thank you Steve for your help with the heating pad.

I have 4 Easterns(mine: Furbie and Whiplash; moms: Diamond and Silky) all are 5 and half months old. So much fun gaters are.

"First shed In Progress"

Very good news. He ate 6 whole worms cut up. He is very full now. I am glad I finally found something to feed him. Thanks for all your replies.

That's great news.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"First shed In Progress"

He had a feast. He must have eaten about 4 worms all together. I fed him 2 of them this morning. There's just one more thing I'm curious about. When he finished his last piece, he did a yawning motion. Now I know this is what snakes do when they are about to throw up, but he did it one time, and then headed for his heat rock to digest. I think he is repositioning his jaws because he did eat a lot.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

From what you said I think you are right, it's just repositioning its jaw. When you swallow something that is the same size as your head you need to put your jaw back in place. Our checkereds often do it between morsals, once the jaw is reset it is my signal to give them the next piece.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Yep, what Chris said.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Awesome news