Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Re: Eye coloration issue?

Maybe Shannon could post a picture of one those close up...

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Glad she's doing well. That's really interesting, Shannon. I had no idea it was common.
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

"First shed In Progress" xStatic's Avatar

Thanks! Do you know if these dark spots can develope suddenly or are they something the snake is born with? The breeder told me she didn't have the dark spot before she was shipped out, and the sale photos she posted were recent ones as well. Also, I studies it more closely and it looks almost like a fleck of paint is inside of her eye if that makes any sense.. it doesn't have a "liquid trapped under skin" look to it, but more of a defined shape, as if a small sliver of black paper had been inserted into the inside of the iris... I've tried repeatedly to get a photo but I just can't get anything to focus. I'll have to see if next time my dad comes over he can bring his very expensive camera with him lol

It feels like maybe she did have a burst vein or something along those lines, and now her body is reabsorbing any blood that had been trapped in her eye... however I don't know how the black spot would relate to that.

If you did have a photo of an albino with a dark spot that would be amazing! That way I could see if it looks similar to something normal, or if its different... I suppose theres a chance the spot could have been missed by the breeder since her eyes are so small and the dark area is located on the lower part of the eye
    0.0.1 Albino Checkered Garter Snake 1.1.0 Corn Snakes 1.1.0 Rosy Boas 1.0.0 Ball Python 1.0.0 Crested Gecko 0.0.1 Northern Blue Tongue Skink

Banned

Hmmm... I don't see any obvious signs of a retained shed and like Steve said, it doesn't sound like a retained eye cap. Sounds more like the snake's eye got struck and the clear scale over the eye got "pushed in" during shipping perhaps, much like the center cone on an audio speaker would if it was struck.

That could keep the eye and pupil from returning to a normal position until the eye cap pops back out and full fluid volume is restored underneath.

At any rate it sounds like the eye cap wasn't ruptured, but required better fluid pressure underneath to restore the eye cap to it's original domed shape.

It's really tough to tell sometimes when an albino is needing to shed. Often times they just get slightly "purplish" eyes for just one day or two. It's easy to miss and the signs are usually very subtle unlike with "normal" colored snakes.

I can only add that it doesn't look too serious. Not like something that would cause permanent damage or blindness.

EDIT: oh crap. Just realized there are two more pages I didnt read. She shed and is fine! That's great!

She looks just like the male I recently acquired from Julio. (sirtalis01)

And BTW, I took considerable time to view your photos and the photo that you say was shown in the "for sale" ad. I don't think it was "flipped". I think they are both the same individual snake. Just that the ad photo is a bit older than yours. The patterns match. No two snakes have patterns that match unless they are clones or produced by parthenogenesis.

One thing though, I get the impression that this snake is not a female. Don't take that as my final word though.