Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Re: Would like to buy a 2nd garter?

I don't want you to get discouraged it is very important to quarantine, but most of the highly dangerous diseases that wipe out collections usually run in boas and pythons. I think as long as you get a nice healthy snake and quarantine for three or four months you should be ok.
    Bluesirtalis

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    I don't want you to get discouraged it is very important to quarantine, but most of the highly dangerous diseases that wipe out collections usually run in boas and pythons. I think as long as you get a nice healthy snake and quarantine for three or four months you should be ok.
    I'm sure I will... My only concern now is I don't very much of what to look for during quarantine.
    Bugs... but other than that I just don't know what to look for.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    So does using a liner, paper towels, or newspaper. Makes it easier to monitor feces and watch for buggies.
    Not to mention, substrate is freakin' expensive. I'll definitely use something like that.

Banned

Don't stress this so much it's not that hard. All you need to do is put the snake in a container lined with paper towels and monitor the snake. Watch for irregular behaviours like head movements and tongue flicks. Keep him in quarantine for a couple of months. Watch for mites and check his stools. You're doing great.
    Bluesirtalis

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    You mean the price isn't that bad? I agree. But it aint cheap when you have to buy knew every month.
    But can I ask, what bedding do you use? I was watching one of your YouTube videos, and you said you use natural substrate...

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    Don't stress this so much it's not that hard. All you need to do is put the snake in a container lined with paper towels and monitor the snake. Watch for irregular behaviours like head movements and tongue flicks. Keep him in quarantine for a couple of months. Watch for mites and check his stools. You're doing great.
    Trust me, I'm not stressing it. But when you say "irregular head movemernts", I have no clue what you mean. Check his stools? What do I check for? That's the only concern I have now. But I'll learn those, I guess.
    Thanks for your help. (and you really did help.)

Have you had your other snake for a long time? If so you probably know more about normal behaviour than you think. Just watch how he acts. What do you feed the one you have.
    Bluesirtalis

I've had him for about 6 months.. maybe more.
    I feed him fish and nightcrawlers. twice a week he gets 7-10 fish, and a worm or two. I'd like to start feeding him pinkies... again the price gets me. I don't have any local petstores other than petsmart/petco. Which sucks.

If you go to the local reptile shows when they come you can buy 100 big frozen pinkys for around $30.00. Once they eat mice they don't have to eat as much.
    Feeding frozen thawed mice you don't have to worry about parasites.
    Bluesirtalis

I can't find any local pet shows that are here or coming any time soon, but that's good to know. I'm not too worried about that though, I'll get that figured out. And I'm sure I'll get the other stuff figured out too.
    All the stuff you've told me has definitely helped. I always thought it was more complicated than that. I know it's not now, and I'm sure I'll be ok with quarantine. Thanks for your help on that.

Still... the substrate is still a problem. I think I'll just use Aspen....

Some people go to lowes and buy bags of cyprus mulch make sure they don't have any pestcides or miracle grow just natural cyprus mulch and it works real well and looks natural. If you use cyprus mulch you should freeze it or bake first though, but you can get a big bag for around 3 or 4 bucks.
    Bluesirtalis