Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Never shed

Re: Scaleless garter

Quote Originally Posted by gartermorphs View Post
    yeah i was thinking about getting one for a while but decided against it. I think keeping a snake thats poisiness enough to kill you is absolutely insane. its not if you get bit its when lol
    Venomous not "poisiness"

Scaleless snakes are a genetic defect, not very cool.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

"Scaleless snakes are a genetic defect, not very cool."

Whaaaaaaaaat???? Everybody wants to see the freak show!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    "Scaleless snakes are a genetic defect, not very cool."

Whaaaaaaaaat???? Everybody wants to see the freak show!!!
    "let the side show begin
    hurry hurry
    step right on in
    cant afford to pass it by
    guaranteed to make you cry"
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

"PM Boots For Custom Title" count dewclaw's Avatar

Is it really a genetic defect? Or is it just another genetic trait? Who decides which traits are good and which are bad? For example, some could argue that albinism is a defect. Just throwing that out there as food for thought. Personally, I think the scaleless snakes look kind of interesting, not sure I would consider it a defect.
    LeAnn
    "The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
    "Jokes are for kids, but puns are for the grown."

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

It has been show to be a recessive gene mutation in corns I believe, and would likely be the case with that garter. When people say genetic defect, perhaps it sounds like they are saying that it is a birth defect or developemental mishap, and that may be how you are taking it, but I think what they really mean is that it is a genetic mutation.

Certain people consider anything other than "normal" defective.

I must be defective, cuz I'm far from normal.

Banned

Now wait a minute, most of our albino morphs, Iowa, Nebraska, etc.. are not created by selective breeding. The trait is straight from nature. All we do is breed in favor of it. If nature sees fit to have them around, then how can it be a "defect"?

I'm pretty sure the scaleless snake is completely a product of gene combinations/mutations brought together by man. It's not like somebody found a scaleless snake one day and started breeding in favor of the trait. In fact, that's not even possible with scaleless snakes so I hear. No, it first appeared in captive collections so it does seem a bit unnatural.

Many species, including homo sapiens have albinos. It's not like we created albino garters. Unlike the scaleless snake, albino garters existed long before we started breeding them.

Never shed

False, it was already found in nature scalesless perfectly viable. And the first born among Colubiasnakes scalesless Corn is not derived from desired selection. It is a random natural as well as the albino.

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Now wait a minute, most of our albino morphs, Iowa, Nebraska, etc.. are not created by selective breeding. The trait is straight from nature. All we do is breed in favor of it. If nature sees fit to have them around, then how can it be a "defect"?

I'm pretty sure the scaleless snake is completely a product of gene combinations/mutations brought together by man. It's not like somebody found a scaleless snake one day and started breeding in favor of the trait. In fact, that's not even possible with scaleless snakes so I hear. No, it first appeared in captive collections so it does seem a bit unnatural.

Many species, including homo sapiens have albinos. It's not like we created albino garters. Unlike the scaleless snake, albino garters existed long before we started breeding them.
    If it can suddenly exist in captivity it can exist in nature. It's not like we created the ability for the scaleless gene to appear.
    Amanda Tolleson

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post

You are wrong here....Scaleless snakes have been found in the wild and/or born from wild mothers on multiple occasions. Scaleless is not some "product" of humans... it is a naturally occuring genetic mutation just as albino. Instead of lacking the ability to produce melanin, these animals lack the ability to produce scales. Same exact idea, different chromosomes and genes. Somebody emailed me and brought up how a friend of his found a garter snake that was scaless in his own yard. Sadly the guy failed miserably at keeping garter snakes and killed his whole project. I was emailed photos ofthe WC animal, it had a few scales scattered over its naked body as scaleless snakes often do. I have like 10 email addresses though so digging it up seems a daunting task. But scaleless snakes have been found, just as albinos, and then people selectively breed for the trait.

Look at this here... this hatchling scaleless gopher was found in the wild and then studied:

http://compphys.bio.uci.edu/bennett/pubs/4.pdf
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!