Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Whats everybodys favorite garter snake

That red stripe is amazing Richard, I want one BAD.

Banned

Me too. good thing I got one.

We seriously have just now run into some decent weather. 80's and mostly sunny rest of the week. Going to meet and herp with Redspot tomorrow. Same place this red stripe girl was found. Same place where tons of anery, hypoery, and just plain "different" T.s. concinnus roam freely in great numbers.

A blue anery with almost NO red spots (high black and blue?) snake was spotted in the area today. Along with all kinds of "different" concinnus.

We think this is a polymorphic T.s. concinnus population. This is good news to get more variety in our CB concinnus gene pools! Shannon: get those anery's I sent to you producing offspring ASAP! I think you'll find the babies to be polymorphic.

Never shed

My favorites are T.Sirtalis Infernalis and Pickeringii blue...
    But i despair of finding Pickeringii blue in France...

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Me too. good thing I got one.

We seriously have just now run into some decent weather. 80's and mostly sunny rest of the week. Going to meet and herp with Redspot tomorrow. Same place this red stripe girl was found. Same place where tons of anery, hypoery, and just plain "different" T.s. concinnus roam freely in great numbers.

A blue anery with almost NO red spots (high black and blue?) snake was spotted in the area today. Along with all kinds of "different" concinnus.

We think this is a polymorphic T.s. concinnus population. This is good news to get more variety in our CB concinnus gene pools! Shannon: get those anery's I sent to you producing offspring ASAP! I think you'll find the babies to be polymorphic.
    I have them setup as a trio... The male and female anery are in with my big female normal... in a display cage. The look so nice! I'll be attempting to cross the male with both of those females this season... to see what kinds of offspring I get from breeding them to each other and the male to that red female. The female anery is not gravid.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

dang that reedstripes drop dead goregous
    ROBERT The Reptilian Teen

"growing old is mandatory

growing up is optional "

I haven't made up my mind yet. I think I'd have to see a wider variety of species in person. Is it just me, or do the snakes look very different in real life than they do even in the highest quality photos?

I've never been a fan of albinos, they always seem to remind me of worms. I generally prefer natural, although I don't mind some of the other abnormalities as much.
    Which is more tempting: The fruit of knowledge or the possessed, talking serpent? DUH! - The Serpent!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    I have them setup as a trio... The male and female anery are in with my big female normal... in a display cage. The look so nice! I'll be attempting to cross the male with both of those females this season... to see what kinds of offspring I get from breeding them to each other and the male to that red female. The female anery is not gravid.
    I went out today to the same area. Met Redspot (Nate) out there. Anery's were everywhere but so were a lot of other morphs including normals (see nature photography thread).

We really think this is a polymorphic population but there are very few males, and surprisingly, even now, very few females appear to be gravid.

Anyway, you can mate any of these snakes such as your anery's to normals and you never know what you're going to get for offspring. Great potential for some very different concinnus. That means in order to know the outcome, lots of holdbacks 'till they "color up"

I found out someone has already been breeding concinnus from that area. Breeding blue anery to blue anery has produced normals, hypoery's, and anery offspring but it takes a year or two for them to show their colors. it's definitely polymorphism. Just fatten those two up for brumation and go for it next spring!
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 06-25-2010 at 01:59 AM.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

I think you may be right Richard, about the population being polymorphic from the results from that breeder you refered to along with what you are seeing in the field.

Puget Sound and Easter Black-Necked Garter

Quote Originally Posted by Jlkelly88 View Post
    Puget Sound and Easter Black-Necked Garter
    The thanksgiving blacknecks are cool too.