Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Built a BIG Rack!

I think a certain point is being missed here. The size of the collection is no argument at all for using racks. In fact, if one is convinced that racks are inadequate from the animal's perspective, one could argue that if you're forced to use racks to house the collection, it's the size of the collection that needs to be addressed.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    I think a certain point is being missed here. The size of the collection is no argument at all for using racks. In fact, if one is convinced that racks are inadequate from the animal's perspective, one could argue that if you're forced to use racks to house the collection, it's the size of the collection that needs to be addressed.

I am not at all forced... it just makes my life easier. If one thinks that racks are inadequate, that's their opinion... not a fact. The fact is that many animals thrive in racks. If racks were so inadequate, I don't think they'd be be used by many, many keepers to easily maintain large collections. I used to not own any rack systems at all and I got along fine. But I spent a lot more time cleaning. The racks just happen to make my life a little easier. This is not just a casual hobby for me... this is my life. My goal is to be THE natricine snake keeper... it's going to take years and years of work, and locating specimens of various natricine animals... and that naturally means a large number of snakes. These are my goals and I'm not going to let anyone tell me I can't do it successfully. I know I can! I'm not just talking garters... all types of natricine snake. Maybe someday when we move and I have the chance to build a new snakeroom from the ground up I can employ all wall caging.... because I would love to. I would love to be able to walk down a row, slide open glass doors, change water bowls in seconds and be on my way.... but right now I can't do that, so I will make do with what I have.... and what I have is one heck of a fine collection that is doing very well!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Understood, but it's a mistake to assume that ease of maintenance would be a hard-hitting argument, when people who are against racks generally hold that position because they don't think that racks are adequate for the snake. Frankly, you need to convince them that racks are adequate, because the well-being of the snake is the top priority.

"Second shed, A Success" Hollis_Steed's Avatar

Shannon,
    I don't question your motives for a moment. I can tell you are a wonderful caretaker and that you are doing what's best for your snakes. To each his own. I trust that you will indeed become "THE natricine snake keeper...". Keep up the good work, and the good advice!
    Jeff

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Understood, but it's a mistake to assume that ease of maintenance would be a hard-hitting argument, when people who are against racks generally hold that position because they don't think that racks are adequate for the snake. Frankly, you need to convince them that racks are adequate, because the well-being of the snake is the top priority.

I get what you are saying. but if people want to be so closed minded... I don't have the time of day for them... In that case I could keep gong until I am blue in the face... But that would be stressful... And I need less stress in my life as is! All people need to do is look at my snakes to see that at least in MY case... The racks are adequate. If others don't like that, so be it!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Nice rack, Shannon.
    I just couldn't resist. Please forgive me.
    No disrespect intended but it was served up so nicely. I just had to.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    I get what you are saying. but if people want to be so closed minded... I don't have the time of day for them... In that case I could keep gong until I am blue in the face... But that would be stressful... And I need less stress in my life as is! All people need to do is look at my snakes to see that at least in MY case... The racks are adequate. If others don't like that, so be it!
    How does this have anything to do with being closed-minded? It's the same debate that people are having regarding the conditions we provide for the animals that we farm for food or fur.

With those blood pythons and that short tailed python you have plastic bins and other cages like boaphiles are your only option a glass cage can't hold the correct humidity without a lot of work.I might think this way though considering i have only ever really owned boids including a blood python very cool species.Again though congrats on the rack and good luck with all of your animals.

"Third shed, A Success" prattypus's Avatar

Holy crap this turned out to be a charged thread. I think I will rethink posting pics of my IKEA organizer. Don't want to open that can of worms.

Shannon- That's a neat set up you have there-
    Jason--
    Red 5 Standing By...

Quote Originally Posted by prattypus View Post
    Holy crap this turned out to be a charged thread. I think I will rethink posting pics of my IKEA organizer. Don't want to open that can of worms.

The snakes won't mind the can of worms.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee