Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Juvenile snake

Re: Rack v. Vivarium?

I would have to say in my very limited experience that I prefer vivariums. I just can't think they would be as happy in a rack system as a really well done viv with lots of room to roam. Granted my two snakes prefer to remain fairly sedentary. Except for feeding time of course when they go wild after each bite. But that's just my humble opinion. And James, I love your viv wall. That's a very impressive and very well done construction!
    Patrick and sometimes Bethany

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Just wanted to add a little bit of balance here, but first let me say that you guys all have some incredible vivariums, they are some of the nicest I have seen. I used to keep garters in Vivariums, and still think that it is definately the best way to go if you have a few animals, no doubt the best way to sit and watch their behavior and probably more enjoyable for the snake as well. But when you are breeding them and you have lots to take care of, it would not be doing them justice to not keep them in a clean healthy enviroment. You can keep a rack system of tubs very clean more efficiently for larger numbers of snakes. I clean all my tubs and water dishes thoroughly and change the carefresh substrate every week and it takes several hours at that, change water every couple days or more often if needed. I do agree that it isn't the desired space and freedom to view the world for the snakes, which is why I spend an hour or two every night getting several out, handeling them and letting them crawl around on the floor, and I rotate groups, ensuring that they all get out at least every week or so. I envey you guys that have nice vivariums and respect the care and dedication that you give each and every animal, but realize that a rack doesn't nessasarily equate cruelty or a lack of care or concern for the animals, it is simply a more effiecient way to keep largerer numbers of animals. If you have a beautiful vivarium but never clean it (not implying anyone here is in that category) that isn't any more respectful to the animal than a well kept rack system. It's a bit of fashion vs function and balancing things out for you the individual and the animals that you keep, but in the end I think what really matters is; are the animals getting good consistant care, and are you paying attention and knowing and loving your animals.
    Peace

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

sunday is cleaning day for me!! every single sunday, I spend making sure everyone's habitat is clean and sparkling.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Jeff, that sure is a lot of carefresh!!!! its nice and soft.... but that stuff is too expensive for my taste... I use newspaper pellet, at 6.98 for 22 lbs. I can't afford not to!!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Shannon
    It is a lot of carefresh sorta, I only put about an inch down thou, since i am changing regular, I also use newpaper for my other snakes, and shedded paper for males, both free from work. Not that the males are less desirving of carefresh, its just that they don't poop as much as the big girls do
    Jeff

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

but care fresh is so colorful!!!! lol i think i'm gonna get my baby some lol i've been keeping her on a combo of paper towel and construction paper to make it pretty lol
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

I have a great supplier, and I like to mix things up.

Recently I ran out of aspen, a few bags of generic carefresh helped me through that.

The corncob pellets work OK too, but only in dire emergencies for me, the stuff gets moldy quick. (I then re-use it along with used coconut fiber for the roaches)

Repti bark looks good, I like that for may larger animals, the Corn, Pueblan and BP have that.

The garters seem to prefer aspen shavings, easy to burrow in, But they also seem to be getting good use out of the carefresh stuff.

I guess the real answer is whatever is on sale.

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post

that my friend, is exactly my philosophy. So long as it's a safe substrate, it's good enough for me!!!

I have to get back over to the local petco, they had 3 bags of hardwood shavings in the discount bin for $5 each.

"Preparing For First shed"

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post

Exactly! A few weeks ago I went to the home depot to see if they had any non-cedar mulch that would work. It would have been awesome at the $5 or so they wanted for 50lb sacks, but all of the varieties they had, had at least some cedar in it.