Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    "Preparing For Third shed" Steven@HumboldtHerps's Avatar

Re: Feeding Hyspiglena - [Corn snake lovers beware!]

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I have the cal nightsnake on lizards and frogs, shovelnose and ground snake on crickets, and I think all the rest of my snake species/subspecies eat rodents.
    Wow! I have always been fascinated by the smaller species; you are actually maintaining a ground snake? That's great. I have been told (and have experienced with rough green snakes) that the invertebrate eaters are always a challenge. You've got the ground snake on crickets? Awesome. So now it's time to experiment with other insects or arachnids! Crickets offer poor nutrition, unless ya dust them regularly. I have been experimenting with different tropical roaches (supposedly high in comparable nutrition) for my spiders, but that's a bit out of context. We wuz talkin little snakes! Where are you located? Closer to the desert than I most likely (I'm in the redwoods!). Yeah, the little guys are always at the bottom of the food chain! I only recently began to realize just how many "sock-eating socks" are actually out there... Let's see... My Ring-neck would eat my Sharp-tail, my Night Snake might take the Ring-neck (close match?), certainly my CA King would take the Night...

I must stop now! These are horrible thoughts! (......And I still feel bad for feeding slender salamanders to my smaller snakes!)

Steve

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Here you go Steven.

I'll start with a pic of my ground snake's cage. A 40 watt bulb points at one end from outside the cage, giving a temp gradient of about 107 degrees (f) down to ambient temp, all in a 5 gallon tank. Thats a cardboard hide that runs most of the temp gradient. A long piece of melamine with 1/4" or so holes drilled in it- a great shedding aid which the ground snake uses every time.
    The deli cup is moist vermiculite- a moist hide which the snake also usues from time to time. And, a babyfood jar water dish. Thats mojave desert sand in the cage.

All pictures were taken tonight. All names as per California Herps .com to cut out any confusion.

Sonora semiannulata - Western Groundsnake. Captive since July of 2007. Eats crickets. His head looks funny in the pic cause he's pressing it against my hand pretty hard. This is the only specimen I know of from Lassen County.

Chionactis occipitalis occipitalis - MojaveShovel-nosed Snake. Captive since June 2008. Eats crickets.

Hypsiglena ochrorhyncha nuchalata - California Night Snake. Captive since 7-3 2005. Eats Pacific treefrogs and fence lizards. Its in shed right now, so its not at its best.

Hypsiglena chlorophaea deserticola - Northern Desert Nightsnake. Captive since June 2008. Eats pinkies.

I do raise dubia roaches, I guess really young ones would probably be good for the shovel and ground snakes. Never even thought of it. I'll try the shovel nose first.

I am not obsessed.... GartersRock's Avatar

Now THAT'S a nice little group of super cool snakes!!
    Amanda Tolleson

Here you go Steven.

I'll start with a pic of my ground snake's cage. A 40 watt bulb points at one end from outside the cage, giving a temp gradient of about 107 degrees (f) down to ambient temp, all in a 5 gallon tank. Thats a cardboard hide that runs most of the temp gradient. A long piece of melamine with 1/4" or so holes drilled in it- a great shedding aid which the ground snake uses every time.
    The deli cup is moist vermiculite- a moist hide which the snake also usues from time to time. And, a babyfood jar water dish. Thats mojave desert sand in the cage.

All pictures were taken tonight. All names as per California Herps .com to cut out any confusion.

Sonora semiannulata - Western Groundsnake. Captive since July of 2007. Eats crickets. His head looks funny in the pic cause he's pressing it against my hand pretty hard. This is the only specimen I know of from Lassen County.

Chionactis occipitalis occipitalis - MojaveShovel-nosed Snake. Captive since June 2008. Eats crickets.

Hypsiglena ochrorhyncha nuchalata - California Night Snake. Captive since 7-3 2005. Eats Pacific treefrogs and fence lizards. Its in shed right now, so its not at its best.

Hypsiglena chlorophaea deserticola - Northern Desert Nightsnake. Captive since June 2008. Eats pinkies.

Those are some nice snakes!!!
    Stephanie

"Preparing For First shed"

My California night snake eats f/t small fence lizards and f/t pacific treefrogs. My desert nightsnake is pounding down live or f/t pinkies great- no scenting. I couldnt hardly believe it the first time it grabbed a pinky out of my hand.
    Pardon, but where do you get your treefrogs? Do you buy them or capture them yourself. I have a stubborn western hognose and I'm trying to find a few frogs to see if he will eat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Seere121 View Post
    Pardon, but where do you get your treefrogs? Do you buy them or capture them yourself. I have a stubborn western hognose and I'm trying to find a few frogs to see if he will eat them.
    I catch my own treefrogs and fence lizards locally. Most of my feeder animals are caught on my parents dairy, a few miles from my house. I can sex fence lizards quite well even when fairly young, and try to just catch males, so the population isnt hurt.

I personally always freeze my feeder frogs and lizards for several weeks first too, to reduce the chances of parasite issues.

In Hog Heaven

Cheez, Loren. Why aren't you older? Why can't I walk farther? Why can't can't we be more religioulsy compatible?

(sigh)
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

I dont know, Gertie, I just dont know. Some things in this world are just above our understanding.