Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Introducing new snake!

Here's a link to a thread with a lot of warning signs that might indicate if your snake is ill (http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/husb...onstant+motion).

Thumbs up Re: Introducing new snake!

Excellent! I´ll use at as a checklist. Again, thanks for all the help!
    If anything else comes to mind I´ll be sure to ask you guys!

Ok so I went to the repti-fair yesterday. The garters available where; Tetrataenia (believe me, I was tempted but they were much to big to go with my radix) Proximus (To small, slender and also I believe that they are to different to go with radix. They climb much more, needs a bigger water area etc.) and the last candidates were two male Sirtalis Parietalis. After having a good look on both of them, I decided to buy the bigger of the two. He´s actually -almost- as tall as my radix, but not quite there though. The main thing is, he´s much more thin (thinner?). So I have him in a petbox now (escape-proofed of course) and I have given him a heating-mat on one end of it as well as hideouts in both ends and a waterbowl in the middle of it all. The first two hours in there he was all over his cage, investigating everything. He also ate a piece of vitamine-supplemented fish-fillet. I take that as a very good sign. Of course I will try and convert him to eating pinkies , so that he can catch up in the girth-department.
    Anyway, I know the whole issue on male/female here...but since they are both baby/juveniles and I haven´t decided if I should brumate them next winter, the whole mating-issue is something wich I´m guessing won´t be a "problem" until next year.
    Feel free to comment on my thoughts!

Pics pics pics

It's apparent that you Swedes have a much bigger reptile scene than we do. I don't think there has been a real reptile fair in my lifetime, although there usually are a couple of stands with reptiles at pet fairs. Of course all they have to offer, are corn snakes.

Still have that empty 247 liter terrarium, fully furnished and functioning. Now If I could just find more garters. Went yesterday to the store where I bought my female, turned out that they still had the male it was housed with, but I don't want it. Those tetrataenia and especially the proximus (plural form..?), would have been a nice addition.

I´m going to post pic later this week. I just don´t want to flash-shock the little fellow the next 48 hours

Ok really? That´s a shame, I had no idea. Next time there is a fair, I´ll let you know and you can take the silja line over here
    Where in Finland do you live btw? I´m in Norrköping, an hours drive south of Stockholm.

I live in Borgå, study in Ekenäs. 45 minutes or 1 hour from Helsinki, depending on which town I am in at the moment.

Expo Syd is next, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    I live in Borgå, study in Ekenäs. 45 minutes or 1
    hour from Helsinki, depending on in which town I am at the moment.

Expo Syd is next, right?
    Right on! That´s corrrect, next august. Yesterdays was expo-mitt.
    Btw you should out this breeder in Kungsör outside of Västerås.
    Kingsear Reptiles
    He is the one I bought my radix from last november! He has got som beautiful garters.

I'm definitely going to try to make it to Expo Syd, but it pretty much depends on whether or not I can get someone to take care of the transportation. Not too keen on travelling alone, either.

Hi Christopher,
    Captive born snakes, in particular, are known to be able to reproduce WITHOUT being brumated. I don't know how long yours are, but the youngest snakes that I've read about were siblings that mated at 8 months of age and had a litter one week before the female turned 1-year-old! They didn't brumate and were fed generously with vitamin supplementation. They were T. elegans elegans, and her total length was 599mm when they mated.

Rick

ok...well..I guess I´ll just have to wait and see then. I was wondering - How keen are garters on mating? Is it just as possible that they won´t mate as well?