Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Re: Screen Tops/Lids

Home made lids(5/8" high grade fiberboard with 1'4" hardware cloth stapled underneath), encylcopedias, and bricks. No worries about someone moving my weights, as my reptile room is locked, and I have the only keys.
    It doesnt have to look unorganized if you do them all the same(I know, I'm missing some encyclopedias in this pic)
    My larger tanks use larger bricks. I have about 35 tanks set up this way, and I can make sure they are all secure in about 15 seconds by scanning the line-up of bricks.

This is an old pic, I have replaced of alot of the soda box hides with black plastic ones. I hope to start adding plastic plants soon too.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Cool, thanks Loren! It looks like most of the tops just rest inside the tank on that little lip instead of going around the outside like most of the commercial lids. I like... and would be easy... still not crazy about the bricks in the living room, but I'm sure I could figure out something that would work and look ok.

As I look around the living room at the destruction from my son's sleepover last night... ummm, ok, maybe a few books and bricks wouldn't make a darned bit of difference! lol

OH, and we have this half wall, cut out, thingy between the dining room and living room, and I need to make a little shelf to sit on it/ rest over it and then the 55 will look stunning there! I'm so excited Sly will get the 29 as soon as I get a lid made/bought for it. Then I'm hoping I can pick up a future breeding group of babies to put in the 55 next year. Or maybe adults who can make me babies next year? I dunno, but it's going to be fun!

OH, one more question... if you've made it this far!... I have a large piece of driftwood that was too big to fit in my oven. What is the best way to prepare it for use in the tank? Can I soak it in bleach in the tank, since I'm soaking the tank anyway?

Thanks guys!!!
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

A chunk of quartz or granite looks nice as a weight for tops.
    KitKat
    "Acts of kindness should never be random."

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

I'd try a boiling water soak, then let it dry out thoroughly. The boiling water should kill off anything living in it. I'm not sure if bleach wouldn't absorb into the wood though. May not be good for the critters climbing on it later.

Oh, and just an idea...........
    If the tanks are in your living room, try searching around for decorative bookends, paperweights, and even large rocks with pretty colours to weigh down your tank lids. There are tons of attractive, heavier objects that could add a little charm as well as function!
    Anji

Anji's full name, by the way, is Anji Martha Stewart.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

Awesome Mrs. Stewart! Thanks!!!
    Tami

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

Sigh................
    I guess I asked for that one.
    Anji

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jitami View Post
    It looks like most of the tops just rest inside the tank on that little lip instead of going around the outside like most of the commercial lids. I like... and would be easy... still not crazy about the bricks in the living room, but I'm sure I could figure out...

OH, one more question... if you've made it this far!... I have a large piece of driftwood that was too big to fit in my oven. What is the best way to prepare it for use in the tank? Can I soak it in bleach in the tank, since I'm soaking the tank anyway?
    The lids do sit in the lip. I like that a lot, because the snakes can no longer hide in that lip, and it also cuts down their ability to push on the lid dramatically. In aquariums, Snakes in the 1-2 foot range get the most "push" out of wedging their bodies into that gap, and pushing with their whole bodies. Now the snakes have to push all the way from the cage floor.
    I use thick enough wood that they do not flex- so when there is weight in the middle, the whole lid is secure.
    I used to worry about how to clean the wooden lids, but I noticed that my snakes never crap "up". If you dont get the lids soaking wet, they should never warp.
    There are other options to lock the lids down, if you get creative. You can put half moon type locking pins in the four corners that grab the underside of the lip when turned one way, and clear it when turned 180 degrees opposite. Just an idea I have seen used before. (I know this might be hard to picture).
    You could also use a couple metal or wood strips under and above the tank(one on each end), with all-thread and wingnuts squeazing them together, thereby holding the lid down.

I found bricks were much easier.
    On feeding day, I can get in and out of 35 cages super fast. I lift the lid a couple inches, and use my 24" long hemostats to reach a mouse to the snake, even if its toward the back of the tank- and I'm out again and off to the next one.
    I use larger bricks for larger snakes.

On the wood- I suppose you could soak it in bleach- just dont mix it too strong, then rinse it well, and soak it in fresh water for an hour after, and allow it to dry for a few days. I did that once, and it seemed to work.

Thanks again Loren! I really appreciate all of the advice!!!
    Tami

In Hog Heaven

Tami, put hydrogen peroxide in a squirt bottle and soak the hell outta the wood. Kills germs and turns into just plain old water.
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello