Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: T. s. sirtalis Melanistic

Quote Originally Posted by sschind View Post
    Smooth temperament??? My easterns are all over the place. Now my Eastern Blacknecks are great. About as mellow as you can get. As far as other all black snakes go Melanistic variable kings are about as mellow as you can get. Black milks are great but it takes a few years for the babies to become all black. Mexican Black kings are great but if they don't have good genetics the adults can turn out more of a dark chocolate brown. I'd give all three of those the nod over an eastern garter when it comes to temperament.

There is also too mellow. Garters may be all over the place, and so are the racers, but when a racer bites you, they chew and chew.

I have adored black milks for a long time, and will probably have one before all is said and done.

With Eastern garters, they may nip, they may musk, but they are well tempered.

I have even heard of one case where a wild racer when picked up and moved, returned to the man that moved it and returned to striking at his leg.

All black kings and milks, Melanistic examples of other species may all be great snakes, and I would never turn one down.

At the plots I heard a report of a recently impregnated eastern garter snake who chased people around when they came near her residence. XD
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

"Second shed, A Success"

I know exactly what you are talking about with the black racers. When I bought my store it came complete with a particularly feisty one. I wasn't as brave back then so I put on large leather welding glove that went about half way up my arm and reached in to grab the snake. I picked him up with about 3 inches of his neck and head protruding out from my closed fist. He proceeded to corkscrew his body around about a half a dozen times and with each revolution his head (the part with the teeth) extended further and further out of my fist. They say snakes can't see very well but this guy knew exactly where the glove ended. After twisting 5 or 6 times he started to bite and within the space of about a 1/2 a second (it seemed even faster) he bit me three times no more than an inch above the glove. 1 less revolution and he would have hit the glove. It all happened so fast (the whole thing probably lasted less than 5 or 6 seconds) and I am sure it was funny as heck to anyone watching but I dropped him back in the cage and went about looking for another way to move him.

I am hoping that my garters do settle down a bit as they get older. I have caught wild ones that were not as bad as my babies now so there is hope.

My melanistic female is so mellow....the one shot I have of her trying to bite is unusual for her....she was in hibernation when I brought her out for a few quick photos...which she didnt want to do...

"Preparing For Second shed"

stunning snake james and very nice pictures of them

James.

James.