Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Snake Owner

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: New Snake Owner

Quote Originally Posted by GaryWelsh View Post
    Where does this story of snakes milking cows come from???
    found this!

"Appropriately, there is a dietary story behind the common name of our local king snake. Besides its occasional taste for reptilian prey — as well as frogs, fish, birds, and eggs — the milk snake avidly hunts small mammals such as mice and voles. After European settlement of North America, the milk snake's searches for these rodents soon brought it into close quarters with humans. Milk snakes were undoubtedly drawn to mice that foraged on waste grain, and there they found shelter in barns and other farm buildings. Humans who encountered milk snakes in their barns creatively imagined that these creatures came to milk the cows, hence the name "milk" snake. In the Chicago Wilderness region, milk snakes are still found in and around some remaining farm sites.
    A look at the milk snake's local distribution and habitat suggests that while early farmers may have viewed it as a rogue cow milker intruding on their barns, the snake was actually hosting the farmers on its home turf."
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    found this!

"Appropriately, there is a dietary story behind the common name of our local king snake. Besides its occasional taste for reptilian prey — as well as frogs, fish, birds, and eggs — the milk snake avidly hunts small mammals such as mice and voles. After European settlement of North America, the milk snake's searches for these rodents soon brought it into close quarters with humans. Milk snakes were undoubtedly drawn to mice that foraged on waste grain, and there they found shelter in barns and other farm buildings. Humans who encountered milk snakes in their barns creatively imagined that these creatures came to milk the cows, hence the name "milk" snake. In the Chicago Wilderness region, milk snakes are still found in and around some remaining farm sites.
    A look at the milk snake's local distribution and habitat suggests that while early farmers may have viewed it as a rogue cow milker intruding on their barns, the snake was actually hosting the farmers on its home turf."
    Well put, Shannon. It is incredible at some of the myths that are ages old and still believed today. It's the reason I enjoy doing exibits for kid groups and helping eliminate some of this.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

not to mention the generally attractive temps of barns and their inhabitants
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Odie's Avatar

Hi, from Oregon, Gary

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you all for the welcome, and for identifying my milk snake and the advice on what to do with it. I think I will release it from captivity in a few weeks when it gets a little warmer outside.

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

im pretty sure the milking cow thing comes from them being found in barns a lot (probaly looking for rodents) and they thought they were drinking the cows milk
    I don't know... before I thought it was black or dark gray with yellowish-orange diamonds or blots. But now in my photo it looks gray-white with brownish-red blots. Maybe I was imagining a copperhead (shrug).

Where does this story of snakes milking cows come from???
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

Thank you all for the welcome, and for identifying my milk snake and the advice on what to do with it. I think I will release it from captivity in a few weeks when it gets a little warmer outside.
    That's probably the best course of action. Wild caught eastern milks are notoriously difficult to get to feed in captivity, especially the younger ones. Glad you captured and researched rather then just assuming and killing it. I hear of a lot of people around PA killing milks, watersnakes and juvi. black rats and racers that are mistakend for copperheads.....which shouldn't be killed either. Good for you for taking the time and effort.
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

Good call to release the Milk Snake, Gary. Why not get yourself a Garter instead and stick around the forum?
    James.

Basilisk (The King of all Serpents) enigma200316's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    Good call to release the Milk Snake, Gary. Why not get yourself a Garter instead and stick around the forum?

I agree with James, we love getting new members, the only manditory thing is pictures and lots of them.............
    Justin

Also a warm welcome from me, also a little later
    Greetz, Hans

Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free.
    -The Shawshank Redemption-
    www.kousebandslangen.nl