Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Forum-names

Re: Forum-names

Quote Originally Posted by ClosedCasket88 View Post
    closed casket would be the name of my band then some numbers for flashynes i supppose
    You do know what 88 stands for in certain circles, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    You do know what 88 stands for in certain circles, right?
    I don't. PM me if it's off-color, okay?
    Rick

the red sided giant reptileparadise's Avatar

88 stands for the 8th letter of the alphabet. The 'H'
    Its used by neo-nazi's als H H ...Hail Hitler.

(didnt think this was something for a PM, maybe its good to know for everyone, to avoid future 'problems')

First let me say that I really enjoy and apreciate the friendly atmosphere that this forum offers. I hope Ryan is as surprised to learn how 88 is being used as I was. After my initial reaction of disgust, I was torn whether or not to respond. On one hand, I don't want to draw attention to this issue (even though it may not directly affect any of us on this forum). I don't want to start a big discussion on this topic. Then I remembered how so few people were willing to speak out and condemn the action of Nazis in the '40s and what that led to. It may be a token gesture, but since I asked the question, I feel compelled to reply by simply saying that the whole idea sickens me. The hatred, violence, and prejudism is a violent cycle that only isolates people... individual people... from one another and makes our world a little bit uglier.

I naively asked the question and felt an obligation to respond to the shocking answer I received. I appreciate the knowledge, Sjoerd, but now I hope we can get back on track about learning why people chose the screen names they did. SOOOOOOOO, why did you choose the screen name YOU use?

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

Cool Re: Forum-names

Quote Originally Posted by Cazador View Post
    First let me say that I really enjoy and apreciate the friendly atmosphere that this forum offers. I hope Ryan is as surprised to learn how 88 is being used as I was. After my initial reaction of disgust, I was torn whether or not to respond. On one hand, I don't want to draw attention to this issue (even though it may not directly affect any of us on this forum). I don't want to start a big discussion on this topic. Then I remembered how so few people were willing to speak out and condemn the action of Nazis in the '40s and what that led to. It may be a token gesture, but since I asked the question, I feel compelled to reply by simply saying that the whole idea sickens me. The hatred, violence, and prejudism is a violent cycle that only isolates people... individual people... from one another and makes our world a little bit uglier.

I naively asked the question and felt an obligation to respond to the shocking answer I received. I appreciate the knowledge, Sjoerd, but now I hope we can get back on track about learning why people chose the screen names they did. SOOOOOOOO, why did you choose the screen name YOU use?
    I have nothing to add to this and totally agree!

But letīs not jump to conclusions...
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

You really should write speaches
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

I agree with Thamnophis, let's not jump to conclusions.

Cazador's reaction (although his position didn't) came pretty much as a surprise. I was prepared to let the 88 thing slide, a simple yes or no from ClosedCasket88 would have been enough for me. No explanations or assurances would have been needed and as far as I'm concerned, he doesn't owe us any. I learned a long time ago that the best way to ruin a friendly atmosphere, something I value a lot, is to bring up controversial issues. Unfortunately it seems that I haven't learned to avoid them.

This forum is about garter snakes, not ideologies and it was a mistake to bring it up. I feel I pretty much caused this little mess and because people feel so strongly about the "88" issue, ClosedCasket must be under a great deal of pressure either way.

I also agree with Thamnophis and Stefan-A, no one should be jumping to conclusions.

I would like to offer another view on the whole “88” issue, which up until a few years ago I did not know about or had even heard about. For the Chinese the number 8 is a lucky number. To them, “eight” means luck, and “eight-eight” means “really lucky”. Numbers and symbols are just that numbers and symbols. They really have no meaning other then what we, as a society, place on them.

While I had never heard of the meaning reptileparadise gave for “88”, I am sure there are some people how never heard of “88” as lucky either. So please let us not just to conclusions.

Ryan,
    Please accept my apologies for this unwanted attention if you're not affiliated with this group, but with respect to all, nobody has been accused of anything. Please reread my original post, if necessary. The best idea might be to continue this discussion via private messages, if necessary, so we don't detract from the forum. This will be my last public comment on this thread. Best,
    Rick

oh dear, i figured someone might bring that up , i get this **** all the time , its more of a favor of number than anything ,after a little history channel watchin it all makes sense. but no im an not a pro hitler fag.
    im highly italian and irish and i think my *** woulda ended up in the gas chamber back in the day as well as my whole family . i grew up with all kindsa differnt people . i live in philly now, cmon . plus i have a grateful dead icon. when have u seen a hippie nazi? ha
    anyways , sorry for the worry .all u guys rock . no hurt intended folks
    -take care
    - hey cazador, its all gravy dont worry bout it