Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Re: Two headed garter snake found in wild..

It's good that you stand for what you believe in and i agree everyone should be able to voice there own opinion because this is the land of the free! It just looked like everyone was getting a little heated up, lol!
    Bluesirtalis

"Third shed In Progress"

I wasn't heated, just defending a guy who can't defend himself because he seems like a very good guy and wants the best for the snake.

He also holds 4 world records and was on Americas got talent. Interesting dude.

"Third shed In Progress"

Another two more two headed snakes were found today. A two-headed texas rat snake and a two headed Western ribbon snake. That's four I have seen found so far this month alone.

https://www.facebook.com/gloria.cant...7463672655561/

That's video above is for the ribbon.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Cool snake, it is very coincidental/ironic who found it. I think it would be interesting to own and observe, but not any value to me as a breeder, because polycephaly is not genetic in terms of a heritable trait. It's just a malfunction event during embryo development. The snake may or may not have long term issues regardless of who's hands it is in anyway. There is probably something for science to learn from that snake, but he could donate it after it dies too. Granted maybe more could potentially be learned while it is alive in terms of internal organ structures and figuring out the mechanism by which it formed two heads. I think if I found it I would keep it for a while just for the fun of it all, but soon it would be boring anyway and no point in breeding, so I would probably do as Albert suggests and find someone in the scientific community that would want to study it.
    If it were genetic and you could potentially make lots of them AND if they were without issue, it would be an awesome breeding project, lol, but that's not probably ever going to prove to be the case.
    Recessive two headed gene... hahaha
    I would much rather see the scalesless gene circulating in the garter hobby. I think there would be a lot of beautiful combos produced. Just looking at the scaleless found in Tennessee this summer, I can only imagine how crisp and bold the colors would be on a erythristic scaleless eastern garter, not to mention no scales is just plain cool IMHO.
    I am just glad that with the internet and Facebook increased availability via phone more people have access and we all get to enjoy seeing these mutants surface. We saw a lot of new things found in the wild this past couple years. I suspect this happened in the past too, but was just not as widely publicized.

"Third shed In Progress"

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I would much rather see the scaleless gene circulating in the garter hobby. I think there would be a lot of beautiful combos produced. Just looking at the scaleless found in Tennessee this summer, I can only imagine how crisp and bold the colors would be on a erythristic scaleless eastern garter, not to mention no scales is just plain cool IMHO.

I agree, I think some of the potential combination with scaleless and eastern garters would be absolutely amazing. Unfortunately scaleless have a very negative image in the hobby and people really seem to get angry about them and often times if you breed them you are considered immoral and money hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I am just glad that with the internet and Facebook increased availability via phone more people have access and we all get to enjoy seeing these mutants surface. We saw a lot of new things found in the wild this past couple years. I suspect this happened in the past too, but was just not as widely publicized.
    Indeed, so far garter wise this year I have seen an albino western ribbon, two headed western ribbon, two headed wandering, two headed radix, albino eastern(I own four juveniles from her), second albino eastern, scaleless eastern, leucistic eastern, high erythristic eastern, albino northwestern and probably some others I'm forgetting. Just browsing garter groups/snake ID groups on facebook.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

I would love to work with scaleless and really wouldn't care what haters have to say, lol! Don't get me wrong i prefer them with scales, but scaleless are cool and would make some awesome combos.
    Bluesirtalis

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

i love scaleless!