Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: List of checkered morphs?

Quote Originally Posted by AntTheDestroyer View Post
    Well it depends. I know nothing about checkered garter genetics, but if any of the traits are co-dominant you could end up with non normals even if the mother does not have the gene. The chances of her being recessive for a morph with out you knowing it are extremely low. On the other hand she might be and there is only one way to find out.
    Remember it is the normal checkered that made all this possible with the morphs created. So, they are the real foundation of our checkered garter collections. As is the normal ball pythons. Yeah, breed her bc that is what's normal in their lives. Reproduction of reptiles is a great thing to do also.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUSHSNAKE View Post
    in order for something to be anery it has to be red or have red pigment...axanthic maybe but not anery
    i have an axanthic with red in it. never seen an anery with any other color than blueish black/slate grey

Quote Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
    Would it even be worth the bother to breed a normal to any of the morphs? Is there a chance she might be het for something already that is recessive and not expressed in her but could come out in her kids? Or are the chances really high that she is absolutely normal in which case I would be guaranteed all normals (but chance of being slightly het for w/e I bred her with). Would it be good regardless to get some wild genes into the pet trades genepool even if she isn't het for anything?
    Its always a good thing to breed your normal to something that is a morph bc you can produce hets. And then breed back the hets to other hets of the same gene or a actual visual morph of w/e she was bred to for a chance at a higher end animal. The normal is the foundation and its a natural instinct for these animals to breed. We are responsible to determine the health of these animals to breed bc it is a very stressful process. Wild genes should be left in the wild, that is my personal opinion. Born free, live free. There is plenty of cbb genes in the hobby to go around we just have to seek it out. Bc it may not just be in the backyard. And yes, the definitive way to find out her staus genetically is to breed her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommytradix View Post
    i have an axanthic with red in it. never seen an anery with any other color than blueish black/slate grey
    I believe what Bushsnake is saying is that with anerythristics, the underlying genetic mutation has red or a red pigment coloration. Bc the term itself scientifically (erythrystic) denotes red. Thus if you have a anerythrystic you have the animal without the red bc the an in anerythrystic denotes without red. Examples are the red sided anerythrystic or the red spotted thus anerythrystic red spotted. Hope this helped bc I almost confused myself.

i took it as there is no red in checkereds so there wouldnt be ery or any ever found. and he was saying its more likely if a dark morph is found it would most likely be axanthic not anery which is why i put ery in front of anery. i was simply saying how nice it would be to see them in more morphs than currently availible

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    I believe what Bushsnake is saying is that with anerythristics, the underlying genetic mutation has red or a red pigment coloration. Bc the term itself scientifically (erythrystic) denotes red. Thus if you have a anerythrystic you have the animal without the red bc the an in anerythrystic denotes without red. Examples are the red sided anerythrystic or the red spotted thus anerythrystic red spotted. Hope this helped bc I almost confused myself.
    thanks albert i have a couple examples in my collection lol

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Can't believe I didn't see this thread right off the bat! Been busy getting my new mouse settled in.

So, earlier you asked for tips on herping: Put a large, flat piece of plywood somewhere by your house, kind of half in the sun, half in a moist shaded area (like near the border to a forest or under a shed or something) and check it every day. It's a magnet for snakes, amphibians, and especially invertebrates, so if you're interested in the creepy-crawlies at all bring a tupperware container you can scoop them into and check them out for a bit!

As for herping in natural habitat, looking under decaying logs and large rocks is best. Just be sure to lift them gently. Also, if you're near a creek and happen to have a recently-deceased bait fish, you can lay it on the water's edge near a lot of rocks. I've seen water snakes actually come up and take fish like that. They are most likely to be out and about early or late in the day, but I honestly have better luck finding them at midday when they're all hiding.

Now, as for breeding, if you care about the well-being of the offspring, it would be worthwhile to check what hets go for with whatever morph you plan on breeding her to. The reason I say this is because baby garters being sold extremely cheaply or given away have a pretty high chance ending up as feeders or with someone who considers them throw-away pets. If your law only refers to wild-caught animals, not native species in general, you SHOULD be able to sell babies that are half albino or whatever as they are not wild... best to call a wildlife official and ask though.

Another option you might be interested in if you'd prefer to work with more interesting morphs would be to purchase a female eastern or radix to live with Delilah, and then find the right eastern or radix male to breed to her. You can house same-sex pairs of different garter species together as long as they are of similar size, and easterns and radix have by FAR the most options for morphs.
    Scott Felzer seems to have gotten out of breeding for awhile, but his site albinogartersnake.com has pictures of pretty much all the different species and morphs under 'Price List' if you're interested in going that route.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    all I was saying is that checkered garters cant be anerythristic cuz they have no red pigment, they are naturally anerythristic. I don't wanna confuse anybody so I try to keep my responses very simple and to the point cuz I feel I have usefull knowledge